Dr. Sumarbin Umdor
Designation: Associate Professor
Joined NEHU on
M.A, Ph. D (NEHU)
- Senior Lecturer, NEHU (2006-09)
- Lecturer, NEHU (2003-06)
- Lecturer, St. Anthony’s College, (1997-2003)
- Project Adviser, Social Economic Life Development Association (1999-2003)
Area of Interest
Microfinance/Participatory Development/ Rural Credit in Northeast India/Decentralized Planning/ Local Self Governments in Northeast India/ Livelihood in Upland Area of Northeast India/Evaluation Studies.
- 2008 to date- Member of Indian Society of Agricultural Economics
- 2006-Member of the Meghalaya Economic Development Council (MEDC), Government of Meghalaya.
- 2006- Member of the Committee on Financial Sector Plan, Government of Meghalaya.
- 2007-to date Resource Person for Meghalaya Rural Development Society (MRDS), Government of Meghalaya
- 2000-2002- Member of Executive Committee of the Board of Management of the North Eastern Region Community Resource Management Society-, a rural livelihood Project of the Government of India the International Fund of Agriculture Development (IFAD)
- Functioning of Autonomous District Councils in Northeast India (completed)
- Problems of Border Areas in North-East India: Implications for Thirteenth Finance Commission (Meghalaya Chapter)” With Prof. B Mishra as Principal Researcher (completed)
To Practical Action Group (Nepal) for ‘Feasibility Study for Gravity Rope Way Project in Meghalaya’ (completed).
To North Eastern Development Finance Corporation Ltd, (NEDFI), for Baseline Survey for Cluster Development and Future Intervention at Mawlynnong area, East khasi Hills, Meghalaya (completed).
To State Resource Centre, NEHU, for ‘Evaluation of Cooked Mid Day Meals Programme in Meghalaya’, Government of Meghalaya (completed).
4. To Indian Institute of Banking Management (IIBM), Khanapara, Guwahati for ‘Project on Microfinance’ (completed)
Research Paper(s) Published:
- Decentralized Planning in Sixth Scheduled Area of India: A Study of Meghalaya’ (2009), Journal of Man and Development, Centre for Research in Industrial and Rural Development, Chandigarh, Vol. 31(1), pp. 83-92.
- ‘Behaviour of Rural Households in the Borrowing and Usage of Credit in North-East Uplands of India’ (2008), Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, Mumbai, Vol. 63(2), pp. 211-223
- Umdor, S. (2007): “Microfinance Programme in Northeast India”, Eastern Quarterly (Forthcoming).
- Umdor, S. and B. Panda (2007): “Economic Infrastructure in North East India- An Analysis”, Man & Development, Vol. 29, No.1, pp.113-130.
- Umdor, S. (2007): “Banking Sector Development and Rural Household Accessibility to Institutional Credit in Northeastern India”, in Economy of India’s Northeast: Problems & Prospects (eds.), ICFAI Publication (in Press).
- Umdor, S. (2006): “Overview of Rural Credit Markets in the Northeastern Region of India”, Journal of Rural Development, National Institute of Rural Development, Hyderabad, Vol. 25, No.3, pp.425-444.
- Umdor, S. (2006): “Impact of Microfinance Programme on Clients: A Review of Evidence from Impact Studies in India”,in V. B. Jugale and Y. V. Jugale (eds.) The State of Indian Economy, Vol. 3, pp.179-191, Serials Publications, New Delhi.
- Umdor, S. (2006): “Changes in the Occupational Structure in Meghalaya, with special reference to the Manufacturing Sector”, Proceedings of the Seminar on Industrial Scenario in the North Eastern States”, Shillong Commerce College, pp.71-79
People’s Participation in the Development Process in Meghalaya, Meghalaya State Human Development Report 2008, Chapter 10, Government of Meghalaya (with B. Panda).
State of Infrastructure in Meghalaya, (forthcoming 2009), Meghalaya State Human Development Report 2008, Chapter 7, Government of Meghalaya (with B. Panda)
- Umdor, S. and B. Panda (2007): “Participation of People in Development”, a background paper prepared in connection with the Meghalaya Human Development Report.
- Umdor, S. and B. Panda (2006): “State of Infrastructure in Meghalaya”, a background paper prepared in connection with the Meghalaya Human Development Report.
- Dubey, A., S. Umdor and D. Smita (2001): “Status of Rural Infrastructure in Meghalaya”, a report based on a study commissioned by the National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER), New Delhi, for the ‘Rural Infrastructure Report’