Present Position : Professor (North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong, India)
Post last held : Reader (North-Eastern Hill University (Shillong, India)
- Ph.D. Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India (1990)
- M.Sc. (Chemistry) North-Eastern Hill University (1981)
Areas of Specialization: Computational (Theoretical) Chemistry applied to
- Organic reaction intermediates: Carbocations, carbenes, nitrenes, arynes
- Organic reaction mechanisms: Peroxy oxidations; Pericyclic reactions
- Nucleic acids: DNA, tRNA, H-bonded base pairs; Codon-anticodon pairs
- Design of artificial information-bearing macromolecular duplexes
- Molecular basis of the Genetic Code and Protein Synthesis (translation)
- Chemical Carcinogenesis and Mutagenesis – molecular mechanisms
- Metal-Metal Bonds in Transition Metal Complexes
- Full Professor at Dept of Chemistry, NEHU, since April 2002 till the present
- Reader at Dept of Chemistry, NEHU, from November 1998 to March 2002
- Lecturer at Dept of Chemistry, NEHU, from September 1993 to October 1998
- Lecturer at Institute of Self-Organizing Systems & Biophysics, NEHU, from November 1988 till August 1993
- Lecturer at Pachhunga Univetrsity College, Mizoram, from September 1981 to February 1982 (taught B.Sc. Chemistry and Pre-University Science)
Publications: 45 research papers in journals
- R. H. Duncan* & G. S. Davies (1989). Alkylation of DNA Bases by Carcinogenic N-Nitrosamine Metabolities: A Theoretical Study. (Int. J. Quantum Chem. 35, 665-671).
- R. H. Duncan* & G. S. Davies (1989). Mechanistic Clues to Mutagenicity of Alkylated DNA Bases: A Theoretical Study. (J. Theor. Biol. 140, 345-354).
- R. H. Duncan* & G. S. Davies (1989). The Product Distribution of DNA Base Alkylation by N-Nitroso Compounds: An INDO SCF-MO Theoretical Study. (J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. 2, 2127-2131).
- R. H. Duncan (1991). Acceleration of Self-Consistent Field Convergence in Semi-empirical Molecular Orbital Theory. (Indian J. Chem. 30A, 733-736).
- R.H. Duncan Lyngdoh (1992). Molecular Orbital Elucidations on Repair Mechanisms for Alkylated DNA Nucleosides. (J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. 2 1173-1179).
- R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh (1993). Comparison of Alkyl Group Labilities in O- and N-Alkylated DNA Bases: A Semiempirical Molecular Orbital Study. (Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. Chem. Sci. 105, 253-263).
- R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh (1994). Stability of Carcinogenic Nitroso Compounds: A Molecular Orbital Study. (Indian J. Chem. 33B, 48-54).
- R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh (1994). Mutagenic Role of Watson-Crick Protons in Alkylated DNA Bases: A Theoretical Study. (J. Biosci. 19, 131-143).
- D. Venkateswarlu & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (1995). Structural, Steric and Energetic Requirements for Induction of Base-Substitutional Mutations by Methylated Guanines and Thymines. (J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. 2 839-846)
- D. Venkateswarlu & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (1995). Proton Transfer Reactions in Nucleic Acid Bases: A Theoretical Study. (Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. Chem. Sci. 107, 221-231)
- J. Sengupta & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (1995). Relative Preference of Carcinogenic Aromatic Nitrenium Ions for Adduct Formation with Different DNA Base Sites: Theoretical Elucidations. (J. Biol. Phys. 21, 285-294)
- D. Venkateswarlu & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (1997). Mutagenic Significance of Proton Acidities in Methylated Guanine and Thymine Bases and Deoxynucleosides : A Theoretical Study. (J. Molec. Struct. THEOCHEM 393, 151-161)
- D. Venkateswarlu, R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh & M. Bansal (1997). A Semiempirical SCF-MO Study on the Base-Pairing Properties of 8-Oxopurines: Significance for Mutagenicity. (J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. 2, 621-626)
- J. Sengupta & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (1997). Comparison of the Relative Physicochemical Role of Parent, Proximate, and Ultimate Carcinogenic Forms of Aromatic Amines: A Semiempirical Molecular Orbital Study. (J. Indian Chem. Soc. 74, 119-122)
- D. Venkateswarlu & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (1998). Deglycosylation of DNA Nucleosides with Relevance to Repair and Mutagenic Mechanisms: A Theoretical Study.(J. Molec. Struct. THEOCHEM 418, 49-58)
- J. Sengupta & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh (1998). Theoretical Study on Tautomeric Role of Modified Guanines for Aromatic Amine Carcinogenesis. In “Sustainable Development and Environment”, Vol. 2 chapter 39; eds..A K De, A K Mitra, N C Dutta and T R Sinha (Vedams Books, New Delhi)
- Deborah L. Buam & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2000). Self-Associative Base-Pairing in some Nitrogen Heterocycles: A PM3 SCF-MO Study. (J. Mol. Struct. THEOCHEM 505, 149-159)
- Peter G.S. Dkhar and R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2000). Generation, Structure and Reactivity of Arynes: A Theoretical Study. (Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. Chem. Sci. 112, 97-108)
- P. Munindro Singh & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2001). Symmetrical Transition States in Thermoneutral Reactions: A Semi-empirical Molecular Orbital Study. (Indian J. Chem. 40A, 682-686)
- S. Ulen Mangang & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2001). Wobble Base-Pairing in Codon-Anticodon Interactions: A Theoretical Modelling Study. (Indian J. Biochem. Biophys. 38, 115-119)
- Deborah L. Buam & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2002). Information-bearing Base-pair Sets involving Nitrogenous Heterocycles: A Theoretical Modelling Study. (Indian J. Chem. 41B, 2346-2356)
- Pebam Munindro Singh & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2004). Theoretical Perspectives on the Cope Rearrangement in Bullvalene Systems. (Indian J. Chem. 43, 1958-1968)
- Zodinpuia Pachuau & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2004). Molecular Orbital Studies on the Wagner-Meerwein Rearrangement in some Acyclic Pinacol-Pinacolone Rearrangements. (J. Chem. Sci. 116, 83-91)
- Peter G. S. Dkhar & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2005). Transition States for Hydride and Methyl 1,2-Migrations in Carbene Rearrangements to Alkenes : An AM1 SCF-MO Study. (Indian J. Chem. 44B, 2138-2148)
- Peter G. S. Dkhar & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2006). Ring Expansions in Substituted Phenylnitrenes : An AM1 SCF-MO Study (J. Mol. Struct. THEOCHEM 732, 161-171)
- Siamkhanthang Neihsial and R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2007). Novel H-bonded Base Pairs as Potential Repeat Units for Information-Bearing Macromolecular Duplexes: A B3LYP/6-31G* Search (J. Mol. Struct. THEOCHEM 806, 213-221.)
- Gunajyoti Das & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2008). Can Configuration of Solitary Wobble Base Pairs Determine Specificity and Degeneracy of the Genetic Code? Clues from Molecular Orbital Modeling Studies. (J. Mol. Struct. THEOCHEM 851, 319-334)
- Siamkhanthang Neihsial & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2008). Novel H-bonded Base Dimers as Repeat Units for Information-bearing Self-Associative Duplexes: A B3LYP-6-31G* Search. (J. Comput. Chem. 29, 1788-1797)
- A. Munaf Kharbuli & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2008). Ozonolysis of Methyl, Amino and Nitro Substituted Ethenes: A Semi-empirical Molecular Orbital Study. (J. Mol. Struct. THEOCHEM 860, 150-160).
- R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh & Henry F. Schaefer, III* (2009). Elementary Lesions in DNA: Electron, Proton, Hydrogen Atom and Hydride Transfers. (Acc. Chem. Res. 42, 563-572)
- Henry N. Pangamte & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2010). Stability, Singlet-Triplet Splitting and Structure of Didehydrogenated Quinolynes and Isoquinolynes. (J. Phys. Chem. A 114, 2710-2726)
- Gunajyoti Das & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2012). Role of wobble base pair geometry for codon degeneracy: Purine-type bases at the anticodon wobble position. (J. Mol. Model. 18, 3505-3820)
- Z. Pachuau, Kiew S. Kharnaior & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2013). Isomerization of Propargyl Cation to Cyclopropenyl Cation: Mechanistic Elucidations and Effects of Lone Pair Donors. (J. Chem. Sci. 125, 365-378)
- Gunajyoti Das & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2013). Configuration of Wobble Base Pairs having Pyrimidines as Anticodon Wobble Bases: Significance for Codon Degeneracy. (J. Biomol. Struct. Dynam. 32, 1500-1520)
- Kiew S. Kharnaior & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2014). Exploration of Minima on the C7H7+ Surface: Structural, Stability and Charge-related Considerations. (J. Chem. Sci. 126, 1181-1195)
- Shilpi Mandal, R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh, Hassan Askari & Gunajyoti Das* (2015). Metalation of Glycylglycine: An Experimental Study Performed in Tandem with Theoretical Calculations. (J. Chem. Engg. Data 60, 659-673)
- S. Premila Devi, Tejeswori Salam, R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2016). Uncatalyzed Thermal Gas Phase Aziridination of Alkenes by Organic Azides. Part I: Mechanisms with Discrete Nitrene Species. (J. Chem. Sci. 128, 681-693)
- K. S. Kharnaior, Martina Devi and R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2016). Generation of C7H7+ Cations with Isomerization Reactions. (Comput. Theor. Chem. 1091, 150-164)
- Martina Devi and R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2016). Favored and Less Favored Codon-Anticodon Duplexes Arising from the GC Codon Family Box encoding for Alanine: Some Computational Perspectives. (J. Biomol. Struct. Dynam. 36, 1-21)
- Tejeswori Salam, S. Premila Devi & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2017). Molecular Criteria for Mutagenesis by DNA Methylation: Some Computational Elucidations. (Mutat. Res. 807, 10-20)
- K. S. Kharnaior, R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* & A. K. Chandra* (2017). C4H4 Radical Cation Isomers: Generation, Structure, Stability, and Isomerization Reactions. (Comput. Theor. Chem. 1115, 158-168)4
- Martina Devi, Esther Chingbiaknem & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2018). A Molecular Mechanics Study on GA Codon Box Translation. (J. Theor. Biol. 441, 28-43)
- Esther Chingbiaknem, S. Neihsial & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2018). Isomorphic Repeat Units for Putative Information-bearing H-bonded Duplexes. Part I. Pyrimidine Base Pairs with Polyamide Backbone. (Comput. Theor. Chem. 1126, 33-43)
- R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh*, R. Bruce King* & Henry F. Schaefer* (2018). Metal-Metal Bond Distances and Bond Orders in Binuclear Metal Complexes of the First Row Transition Metals Titanium through Zinc. (Chem. Rev. 118, 11706-11787).
- S. Premila Devi & R. H. Duncan Lyngdoh* (2019). Uncatalyzed Thermal Gas Phase Aziridination of Alkenes by Organic Azides. Part 2: Whole Azide Reaction with Alkene. (J. Chem. Sci. 131, 6).
Research Guidance for Ph.D. (List of PhD students successfully guided)
||TITLE OF THESIS
||Dr. D. Venkateswarlu
||Theoretical Studies on Alkylated DNA Bases and their Role for Mutagenesis and Carcinogenesis
||Dr. Jayati Sengupta
||Theoretical Investigations on the Role of Modified DNA for Carcinogenesis by Polycyclic Aromatic Amines
||Dr. James Haorah
||Mechanistic Models for Carcinogenic Activity, Potency Index and Choice of Target Organ for Carcinogenesis by N-Nitroso Compounds
||Dr. Deborah M. L. Buam
||Quantum Chemical Studies on the Salient Aspects of Hydrogen Bonding Among Aromatic Heterocyclic Bases
||Dr. Peter G. S. Dkhar
||Theoretical Aspects of the Generation, Structure. Stability and Reactivity of Carbenes, Nitrenes and Arynes
||Dr. P. Munindro Singh
||Theoretical Aspects of Intramolecular Diels-Alder React-ions. Sigmatropic Shifts & Degenerate Cope Rearrangements
||Dr. Zodinpuia Pachuau
||Theoretical Studies on Carbocations: Stability, Structure and Rearrangements
||Dr. Siam K. T. Neihsial
||Quantum Chemical Studies on H-Bonded Base Pair and Backbone Components of Novel Information-Bearing Macromolecular Duplexes
||Dr. A. Munaf Kharbuli
||Quantum Chemical Studies on the Oxidation of Alkene and Carbonyl Substrates by Ozone, Peracids and Peroxides
||Dr. Gunajyoti Das
||Theoretical Investigations on Codon-Anticodon Inter- actions and their Significance for the Genetic Code
||Dr. Kiew S. Kharnaior
||Quantum Chemical Studies on the Structure, Stability and Rearrangements of Various CnHn+ Carbocations (n=4 to 7)
||Dr. Henry N. Pangamte
||Quantum Chemical Investigations on Arynes: Quinolynes and Isoquinolynes
||Dr. Tejeshwori Salam
|| Base Pairing Motifs and Repair Mechanisms Associated Alkylated DNA: Some Computational Insights
||Dr. S. Premila Devi
||Computational Studies on Metal-Free and Metal-Catalysed Nitrene Transfer Reactions
||Dr. Sanchita Dhar*
|| Synthetic and Mechanistic Investigations on α-Oxoketene Dithioacetals
||Dr. Amrita Roy*
||Synthetic Investigation on Aromatic and Heteroaromatic Annelation Reactions
||Dr. Okram Barun*
||New Synthetic Routes to Biologically Important Heterocycles
* With Joint Supervision of Professor H. Junjappa (Emeritus Professor, IIT Kanpur)
Ph.D. Students Registered and under Current Supervision
||Ms. Martina Devi
||Computational Investigations on the Molecular Basis of the Genetic Code
||Ms. Esther Chingbiaknem
||Computational Studies on Hydrogen-Bonded Macromolecular Duplexes-
||Mr. Fitzerald Hujon
||Binuclear and Polynuclear Complexes of Manganese, Iron And Cobalt: Computational Studies on Structure and Stability
||Mr. Derek R. Langstieh
||Metal-Metal Bonds in Binuclear Complexes of Vanadium and Nickel: Some Computational Perspectives
||Ms. Ibaniewkor Lyngdoh*
||Synthesis and Characterisation of Platinum Group Metal Scorpionates with N-donor Ligands
* With Dr. E. K. Rymmai (Dept of Chemistry, NEHU) as Supervisor and Self as Joint Supervisor
Note: All above 17 completed Ph.D. degrees were awarded by North-Eastern Hill University and all 22 research scholars were registered for the Ph.D. programme of NEHU
Research Projects as Principal Investigator
- BRNS DAE Project on “Theoretical Studies on the Somatic Mutation Model of Cancer” (1990-1993) with one Research Fellow (JRF and SRF)
- SERC DST Project on “Theoretical Studies on Codon-Anticodon Pairing and the Genetic Code” with one Research Fellow (1994-1997)
- HRDG CSIR Project on “Computational Elucidations on Codon-Anticodon Pairing and the Genetic Code” with one Research Associate (2011-2013)
Organization of Conferences/Symposia:
- Convener, Chairman and Organizing Secretary for 14th Annual Conference of the Indian Association for Cancer Research entitled “Cancer Research: Bridging the Gap between Laboratory and Clinic” (North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong, Feb 1994).
- Convener & Organizing Secretary for the National Symposium on Advances in Chemistry & Environmental Impact (North-Eastern Hill University, March 2006).
- Convener & Organizing Secretary for National Symposium on “Sustainable Chemistry: Frontiers & Challenges” held at NEHU 27th Feb to 1st March 2014.
Presentations at Conferences/Symposia etc.
Have given Invited Lectures/Oral Presentations at many National and International Symposia/Conferences, besides Workshops and Refresher Courses, and delivered three Keynote Addresses at National Seminars/Conferences.
- Head, Department of Chemistry, NEHU, Shillong (Feb 2006 to Feb 2009)
- Coordinator, DST FIST Program, Dept of Chemistry, NEHU (2006-2009)
Prepared/presented Proposal which resulted in FIST Level Two (Rs 168 lakhs)
- Coordinator, UGC-SAP Program, Dept of Chemistry, NEHU (2011 till present)
Prepared/presented Proposal leading to Centre of Advanced Study (Rs 1.50 crore)
- Dean, School of Physical Sciences, NEHU (Feb 2017 till present)
- Member of numerous Administrative Committees of NEHU and other institutions.
Organized and led the M.Sc. students of the Dept of Chemistry, NEHU, on a series of six educational tours around India in 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2009 and 2014.
- With Professor Henry F. Schaefer, III of University of Georgia, Athens, USA
- With Professor Feng Wang of Swinburne University, Melbourne, Australia
- Music – composed 32 full vocal and instrumental works; play piano, organ, guitar; sing; conduct choirs, perform piano in classical music concerts
- Languages – read, speak and write English and 9 Indian languages; specialized in study of Tibeto-Burman languages (especially the Meitei-Chin group)
- Theology and philosophy of religion
- Indigenous Tribal Folklore – engaged in translation of ancient Mizo folktales
- Appreciation & History of Art – painting, sculpture and architecture
- History and culture of North-East India