Prof. R. L Nongkhlaw
Department of Chemistry Department
M.Sc (NEHU), Ph.D (NEHU)
Areas of Interest/Specialization:
- Synthesis of pharmacologically important Heterocycles: Synthetic approaches to Oxygen, Nitrogen and Sulphur Heterocycles via green protocols and studies on their biological properties.
- Synthesis of Nanoparticles and organo-nanocatalysts: Preparation of metal (ferromagnetic as well as non-ferromagnetic) nanoparticles via chemical methods, and investigation on its catalytic properties in organic synthesis. Development of coated/ hybrid organo-nanocatalyst for advanced synthesis
Experience: 18 Years
- Awarded: 10
- Dr. Noimur Rahman
- Dr. Ridaphun Nongrum
- Dr. Jims World Star Rani
- Dr. Geetmani Singh Nongthombam
- Dr. Chingrishon Kathing
- Dr. ShokipTumtin
- Dr. Satyapati Devi
- Dr. Tovishe Phucho
- Dr. Madhushudhan Saha
- Dr. Milan Chandra Dutta
- Result Awaited: 1
- Mr George Kupar Kharmawlong
- Ongoing: 5
- Mr Aiborlang Thongni
- Mr Arup Dutta
- Ms Munmee Goswami
- Ms Pooja Paul
- Ms Ridahun Nongkhlaw
MSc. Project Students Supervised: 36
Administrative responsibilities undertaken:
- Dean, Students’ Welfare (Shillong Campus), NEHU: March 2021-onwards.
- Warden, Ranggira Hostel, Hostel No 19: From August 2008 till September 2015.
- University Proctor (Shillong Campus), NEHU: 2015- Feb, 2021.
- Convener of the Anti-Ragging Committee.
- Convener of the Anti-Ragging Squad.
- Member of Election Commission of NEHUSU.
- Member of the University Level Disciplinary Council.
- Member of the Residential Allotment Committee for Hostel allotment.
- Member of the Students Counselling Cell.
- Member of the Committee for University Memorabilia.
- Chairman of “The Chemistry Club, Department of Chemistry” from 2012 onwards.
- Nodal Officer for the Awareness programmes on Drug abuse and prevention in Colleges and central Universities.
Academic affiliations :
- Life member of The Indian Science Congress Association, Kolkata
- Life member of the Indian Council of Chemists
- Life member of The Chemical Research Society of India
- Member, Board of Under Graduate Studies in Chemistry, NEHU
- Member, Board of Post Graduate Studies in Chemistry, NEHU
- Member, Board of Post Graduate Studies in Biochemistry, NEHU
- Member, School Board of Physical Sciences, NEHU
- Member, Board of Studies in Chemistry, NEHU
- Member, Admission Committee for PhD and MSc.
- Member, Meghalaya Medical Entrance Test (MMET)
- Department of Science and Technology (DST) sponsored project entitled "Synthetic studies on organo encapsulated nanoparticles for fabrication of C-N, C-O, C-S bonds leading to 5- and 6-membered rings."
- A. Dutta, M. A. Rohman, R. Nongrum, A. Thongni, S. Mitra and R. Nongkhlaw; visible-light-promoted synthesis of pyrrolidinone derivatives via rose bengal as a photoredox catalyst and their photophysical studies, New Journal of Chemistry, 2021, 45, 8136–8148.
- A. Dutta, N. Rahman, J. E. Kumar, J. Rabha, T. Phukan and R. Nongkhlaw; Catalyst-free UV365-assisted synthesis of pyran annulated heterocyclic scaffolds and evaluation of their antibacterial activities, Synthetic Communications, 51, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1080/00397911.2020.1825741
- C. Kathing, N. G. Singh, J. World Star Rani, R. Nongrum, and R. Nongkhlaw; facile synthesis of 1,2-disubstituted benzimidazoles using p-toluenesulfonic acid through grinding method; Russian Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2020, 56, 1628–1634, DOI: 10.1134/S1070428020090201
- A. Dutta, B. Chhetri, R. Nongrum, G. K. Kharmawlong, A. K. Yadav and R. Nongkhlaw; Ultrasound-assisted synthesis of nitrogen and oxygen containing heterocycles using fluorinated graphene oxide as catalyst: evaluation of their anthelmintic activities, Chemistry Select, 2020, 5, 7474-7481.
- A. Dutta, N. Rahman, W. Khongriah, R. Nongrum, S. R. Joshi and R. Nongkhlaw; L-glutamine supported on core–shell silica iron oxide nanoparticles: a highly efficient organocatalyst for synthesis of spirooxoindoles, Chemistry Select, 2019, 4, 12399-12408.
- R. Nongrum, G. Kharmawlong, J. W. S. Rani, N. Rahman, A. Dutta and R. Nongkhlaw; Organocatalytic green approach towards the fabrication of fused benzo n,â??n-â??containing heterocycles facilitated by ultrasonic irradiation, Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry, 2019, DOI:10.1002/jhet.3680.
- G. K. Kharmawlong, R. Nongrum, B. Chhetri, J.W. S. Rani, N. Rahman, A. K. Yadav and R. Nongkhlaw; >Green and efficient one-â??pot synthesis of 2,â??3-â??dihydroquinazolin-â??4(1H)â??-â??ones and their anthelmintic studies, Synthetic Communications, 2019, 49, 2683-2695. doi.org/10.1080/00397911.2019.1639754.
- R. Nongrum, G. S. Nongthombam, J. W. S. Rani, N. Rahman, G. Kharmawlong and R. Nongkhlaw; [1,â??3]â??Oxazines: green synthesis by sonication using a magnetically-â??separable basic nano-â??catalyst and investigation of its biological activity, Environmental Chemistry Letters, 2019, 17, 1325-1331.
- R. Nongkhlaw, R. Nongrum, S. Tumtin and I. T. Phucho; >Green and efficient synthesis of 1,â??2-â??bis(2H-â??benzo[e]â??[1,â??3]â?? oxazin-â??3(4H)â??-â??yl)â??ethanes and 1,â??2-â??bis (2H-â??benzo[e]â??[1,â??3] â??thiazin-â??3(4H)â??-â??yl)â??ethanes; Arkivoc, 2019, 5, 255-264. DOI:10.24820/ark.5550190.p010.854.
- N. Rahman, G. S. Nongthombam, J. W. S. Rani, R. Nongrum and R. Nongkhlaw, An environment friendly magnetic organo-nanomaterial as a potent catalyst in synthesis of pyranopyrazole derivatives, Arkivoc, 2019, 255-264, DOI: doi.org/10.24820/ark.5550190.p010.720.
- N. Rahman, G. S. Nongthombam, J. W. S. Rani, R. Nongrum, G. K. Kharmawlong and R. Nongkhlaw; An environment-friendly magnetic organo-nanomaterial as a potent catalyst in synthesis of pyranopyrazole derivatives. Current Organocatalysis, 2018, 5(2), 150 – 161.
- N. G. Singh, G. K. Kharmawlong, J. E. Kumar and R. Nongkhlaw; UV-365 light promoted catalyst-free synthesis of pyrimido[4,5-b] quinoline-2,4-diones in aqueous-glycerol medium. New Journal of Chemistry, 2018, 42, 9436- 9442.
- N. G. Singh and R. Nongkhlaw; Experimental and theoretical studies on SPION@glutathionecatalyzed synthesis of indolylchromene, indolo xanthene and pyrimido[4,5 b]quinoline. Synthetic Communications, 2018, 48(5), 541- 552.
- R. Nongrum, G. S. Nongthombam, M. Kharkongor, J. W. S. Rani, N. Rahman, C. Kathing, B. Myrboh and R. Nongkhlaw; A Nano-organocatalyzed route towards the efficient synthesis of benzo[b]pyran derivatives under Ultrasonic irradiation. RSC Adv., 2016, 6, 108384-108392.
- J.W.S. Rani, C. Kathing, N. G. Singh, R. Nongrum, N. Rahman, G. Kharmawlong, R. Nongkhlaw; One-pot synthesis of 3, 4-dihydropyrimidin-2(1H)-ones catalysed by [BMIM]Br under solvent-free condition. Bulgarian Chemical Communications, 2016, 48(4), 3–10.
- C. Kathing, S. Kumar, S. Tumtin, N. G. Singh, Jims W. S. Rani, R. Nongrum, and R. Nongkhlaw; N,N′-Dialkyl-4-Aryl-3,4-Dihydropyrimidinones and Thiones: Ceric Ammonium Nitrate Catalyzed Synthesis and Molecular Structure Determination by X-ray Crystallography. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry, 2016, 54(2), 2735- 2738.
- N. G. Singh, M. Lily, S. P. Devi, N. Rahman, A. Ahmed, A. K. Chandra and R. Nongkhlaw; Synthetic, mechanistic and kinetic studies on the organo-nanocatalyzed synthesis of oxygen and nitrogen containing spiro compounds under ultrasonic conditions. Green Chemistry, 2016, 18, 4216-4227.
- N. G. Singh, R. Nagarajaprakash, J. W. S. Rani, C. Kathing, R. Nongrum and R. Nongkhlaw; Nickel nanoparticles assisted regioselective synthesis of pyrazoloquinolinone and triazolo-quinazolinone derivatives. New Journal of Chemistry, 2015, 39, 3908-3915.
- S. Tumtin, C. Kathing, I. T, Phucho, R. Nongrum, B. Myrboh and R. Nongkhlaw; Triethylbenzylammonium chloride as a useful and efficient catalyst for the alkylation of Indole/substituted Indoles in Water: A Comparative Study between Conventional and Microwave Irradiation. J. Chin. Chem. Soc., 2015, 62(4), 321–327.
- C. Kathing, Jims W. S. Rani, Nongthombam G. Singh, S. Tumtin, R. Nongrum and R. Nongkhlaw; One-pot Synthesis of 3,4-Dihydropyrimidin-2(1H)-ones catalyzed by cupric acetate under solvent-free conditions. J. Chin. Chem. Soc., 2014, 61, 1254-1258.
- N. G. Singh, R. Nongrum, C. Kathing, J. W. S. Rani and R. Nongkhlaw; Bakers' yeast: An environment benign catalyst for the one-pot synthesis of Indolylchromenes and Bisindolylalkanes. Green Chem. Lett. & Rev., 2014, 7, 137-144.
- N. G. Singh, C. Kathing, J. W. S. Rani and R. Nongkhlaw; An efficient and versatile protocol for the synthesis of bis(indolyl)alkanes and tris(indolyl)alkanes using chlorotrimethylsilane. J. Chin. Chem. Soc., 2014, 61, 442-446.
- C.Kathing, S.Tumtin, N.G.Singh, J.W.Rani, I.T.Phucho, A.Nongpiur, R.Nongrum and R.L.Nongkhlaw; Cupric acetate catalysed alkylation of indoles in water: A comparative study between conventional heating and microwave irradiation. Organic Chemistry An Indian Journal,2013, 9, 257- 266.
- A. S. Devi, P. Helissey, R. Nongkhlaw and J. N. Vishwakarma; KHSO4-assisted Michael addition-Elimination reactions of Indoles dimethyl amino-1-phenylprop-2-en-1-ones in water: An Environment friendly synthesis of Novel 3-indolylchalcone.Synth.Commun.,2013, 43, 1653- 1660.
- B. M Laloo, H. Mecadon, Md. R. Rohman, I. Kharbangar, I. Kharkongor, M. Rajbangshi, R, Nongkhlaw and B. Myrboh. Reaction of Selenium Dioxide with Aromatic Ketones in the Presence of Boron triflourideEtherate: A protocol for the Synthesis of Triarylethanones. J. Org. Chem., 2012, 77, 707- 712.
- I. T. Phucho, S. Tumtin, A. Nongpiur, R. Nongrum, C. Kathing and R. Nongkhlaw. Microwave assisted synthesis of 3-substituted-4(3H)-quinazolinone using silica supported potassium carbonate. Organic Chemistry an Indian Journal; 2012, 8, 145 – 150.
- M. Saha, E. Karim, J. N. Vishwakarma and R. Nongkhlaw. Microwave Assisted One-pot Synthesis of Novel bioactive 1-Phenylethylhexahydroquinazolin-5(6H)-ones & bis-1-Phenylethylhexahydroquinazolin-5(6H)-ones. Chemical Sciences Journal,2012, 89, 117- 120.
- S. Tumtin, T. Phucho, A. Nongpiur, R. Nongrum and R. Nongkhlaw; One pot synthesis of [1,3]-oxazine and [1,3]-thiazine derivatives under thermal and microwave conditions. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry, 2010, 47, 125-130.
- I. T. Phucho, S. Tumtin, A. Nongpiur, R. Nongrum and R. Nongkhlaw; >Microwave assisted synthesis of 6-â??methyl-â??1,â??2,â??3,â??4-â??tetrahydro-â??N-â??aryl-â??2-â??oxo-â??4-â??arylpyrimidine-â??5-â??carboxamide and 3,â??4-â??dihydropyrimidin-â??2(1H)â??-â??ones under solvent free conditions. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2010, 2(3), 214-222.
- A. S. Devi, M. C. Dutta, R.NongkhlawandJ. N. Vishwakarma. >KHSO4 assisted Michael addition-â??elimination reactions of formylatedacetophenones in water: a facile general green synthetic route to 3-â??(alkylâ??/aralkylâ??/aryl) â??amino-â??1-â??arylprop-â??2-â??en-â??1-â??ones. Journal of the Indian Chemical Society, 2010, 87(6), 739-742.
- M. C. Dutta, K. Chanda, R. Nongkhlawand J. N.Vishwakarma, >A facile microwave-â??assisted one-â??pot strategy for the synthesis of bis-â??hexahydroquinazolin-â??5(6H)â??-â??ones. E-Journal of Chemistry, 2010, 7(1), 281-286.
- J. N. Vishwakarma, M. C. Dutta, K. Chanda, B. Das, M. A. Laskar, and R. Nongkhlaw, >Synthesis and anti-â??bacterial activities of novel 5-â??isonicotinoyl-â??1,â??2,â??3,â??4-â??tetrahydropyrimidines and bis(5-â??isonicotinoyl-â??1,â??2,â??3,â??4-â??tetrahydropyrimidines), ARKIVOC (Gainesville, FL, United States) 2009, (13), 131-141.
- I. T. Phucho; A. Nongpiur,.; S. Tumtin,.; R. Nongrum,.; R. Nongkhlaw;>Recent progress in the chemistry of dihydropyrimidinones; Rasayan Journal of Chemistry (2009), 2(3), 662-676.
- I. T Phucho, S. Tumtin, A. Nongpiur, R. Nongrum, C. Kathing, R. Nongkhlaw; Microwave assisted synthesis of 6-â??methyl-â??1,â??2,â??3,â??4-â??tetrahydro-â??N-â??aryl-â??2-â??oxo-â??4-â??arylpyrimidine-â??5-â??carboxamide and 3,â??4-â??dihydropyrimidin-â??2(1H)â??-â??ones under solvent free conditions; Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2010, 2(3), 214-222
- I. T Phucho, S. Tumtin, A. Nongpiur, R. Nongrum, C. Kathing, R. Nongkhlaw; Synthesis of 3,â??4-â??dihydro-â??2(1H)â??-â??pyrimidinone and 3,â??4,â??5,â??6,â??7,â??8-â??hexahydro-â??2(1H)â??-â??quinazolinones via three component cyclocondensation; Indian Journal of Chemistry, Section B: Organic Chemistry Including Medicinal Chemistry, 2010, 49B(3), 346-350
- I. T Phucho, A. Nongpiur, S. Tumtin, R. Nongrum, B. Myrboh and R. Nongkhlaw, >Novel one pot synthesis of substituted 1,â??2,â??4-â??triazines. ARKIVOC (Gainesville, FL, United States) 2008, (15), 79-87.
- R. Nongkhlawand B. Myrboh, >Novel one-â??pot synthesis of substituted 1,â??2,â??4-â??triazines. Heterocyclic Communications, 2006, 12(1), 67-72.
- R. Nongkhlaw, R. Nongrum, I. Nongkynrih, F. Mathew and B. Myrboh, >Novel synthesis of substituted cyclopropane acetic acid ethyl esters from cyclopropyl alkyl ketones. Indian Journal of Chemistry, Section B: Organic Chemistry Including Medicinal Chemistry, 2005, 44B (5), 1054-1057.
- R. Nongkhlaw, R. Nongrum, and B. Myrboh, >A novel one-â??pot synthesis of substituted pyridazines: A general method of preparation of 3,â??4,â??6-â??triarylpyridazines, Heterocyclic Communications, 2003, 9(5), 465-472.
- R. Nongkhlaw, R. Nongrum, and B. Myrboh, Synthesis of substituted hexa-3,5-dienoic acid methyl esters from conjugated dienones. Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions 1, 2001, (11), 1300-1303.
- Research Collaborations with the Department of Zoology and Department of Biotechnology, NEHU, Department of Botany, Gauhati University.
- Resource Person in Lectures, Talks, Refresher Course, Orientation Programmes, workshops etc.
- Chairperson of sessions in Conferences and Seminars.
- Co-ordinator of SALTER’s- Royal Society of Chemistry (London) Science Camp, Dr. Yusuf Hamied- RSC Inspirational Chemistry Programme including teachers training Program.
- Co-ordinator of RBPT’s workshop and training program conducted by COSME, IISER, Pune.
Reviewers for journals of national/international repute:
- Tetrahedron (Elsevier),
- Chemistry Select (Wiley)
- Journal of Inorganic and Organometallic Polymers and Materials (Springer)
- Dyes and Pigments(Elsevier)
- Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds,
- Tetrahedron Letters
- RSC Advances