Prof. G. Das
M.A. (Delhi University), Ph. D. (NEHU)
Areas of Interest/Specialization:
Experience: (in NEHU)
- Systems Analyst and Computer Programmer: 1978 (regularised in 1982)-1987
- Lecturer: 1987-1998
- Reader: 1998-2007
- Professor: 2007 onwards
- Phrangstone Khongji,
- Bijoy Krishna Handique,
- R. Zoramthanga,
- Ningthoujam Linthoingambi Devi (as co-supervisor in Assam University)
Administrative responsibilities undertaken:
- In-charge of the Centre for Applied Statistics, NEHU, during 1989-93
- Warden, PG Women’s Hostel (Persara), NEHU, during 1993-98
- Head, Department of Statistics, NEHU, 2005-2008, 2011-2013
- Member of various Boards of Studies, School Board, Board of Research Studies, Academic council, Court etc.
- Life member, International Biometrics Society (Indian Region)
- Life member, Indian Society for Agricultural Statistics
- Life member, Assam Statistical Review
- Life member, National Institute of Ecology, India
- International Society for Ecological Modelling, 1980-86
- Indian Society for Tree Scientists, 1984-88
- Gujarat Statistical Association, 1988-94
- Sample Survey Research Group, 1990-95
- Affiliate of International Network for Bamboo and Rattan, 2000-03.
- "Applications of Statistical Modelling on Management of Bamboos” in collaboration with Department of Ecology and Environmental Science, Assam University, funded by DST.
- “Comparative study on selected forest sampling techniques with satellite remote sensing inputs”, in collaboration with NESAC, Shillong, funded by Department of Space, Govt. of India under EOAM.
- Estimating Fascicle Surface Area of Khasi Pine-Pinus Kesiya : Royle Exgordon, Proceedings of Indian National Science Academy, B-48(3): 361-366, 1982.
- The Role of Mathematicians in Ecology in Status of Ecology, Ed. I.J.S. Jaiswal, Punjab Publishing House, 17-24, 1984.
- Ordering of Shoots with Special Reference to Exbucklandia populnea, Current Science, 53(9): 498-499, 1984.
- Effect of Different Factors on Germination and Tube Growth of Solanum Sysinbrifolium Lam, Pollen, Annals of Tropical Research, 10(3&4):174-181, 1988.
- Preliminary Test Estimators in Double Sampling with Two Auxiliary Variables, Communications in Statistics: Theory and Methods, 24(5): 1211-1226, 1995.
- A Generalised Study of Preliminary Test Estimators in Double Sampling, Assam Statistical Review, Vol. 17 (2): 127-138, 2003.
- Phenology and culm growth of Melocanna baccifera (Roxb.) Kurtz in Barak Valley, North-East India, J. Bamboo and Rattan, Vol. 3 (1): 27-34, 2004.
- Simulation Studies on the Distribution of Studentized Range, Contribution to Applied and Mathematical Statistics, Vol. 2: 68-78, 2004.
- Phenology and Culm Growth of Bambusa cacharensis R. Majumdar in Barak Valley, Assam, North-East India, Bamboo Science & Culture (The Journal of American Bamboo Society), Vol. 18(1): 19-23, 2004.
- Nonlinear Statistical Model for Culm Growth of Muli Bamboo- Melocanna baccifera. International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Vol. 32(2): 221-225, 2006.
- Population structure and culm production of bamboos under traditional harvest regimes in Assam, North East India, Journal of Bamboo and Rattan, Vol. 5(1&2), 91-100, 2006.
- Statistical Methods for Analysis of Environmental Data. In Environment and Natural Resources: Ecological and Economic Perspectives, Ed. O.P. Singh, Regency Publications, New Delhi, Chapter 15, 248-263, 2006.
- Prioritization of timber species richness hotspots for optimal harvesting and conservation planning- a spatial statistics approach. Journal of Geomatics, 1:31-36 2007.
- Culm characteristics and population structure of dolu bamboo (Schizostachyum dullooa (Gamble) Majumder) in Barak valley, Northeast India, the need for conservations and implications for management, Bamboo Science and Culture, (The journal of American Bamboo Society), 20: 15-20, 2007.
- Vegetable phenology of three bamboo species in subtropical humid climate of Assam, Tropical Ecology, 49:85-89, 2008.
- Above round biomass, production and carbon sequestration in farmer management village bamboo grove in Assam, Northeast India. Bamboo Science and Culture, (The journal of American Bamboo Society), 21:32-40, 2008.
- Spatial statistical analysis for delineating timber species diversity hotspots at compartment level, International Journal of Geomatics and Geosciences, 2(2):655-663, 2011
- Studies on some preliminary test estimators in double sampling, Journal of Indian Society of Agricultural Statistics, 66:381-390, 2012.
- Nonlinear Statistical Model for Characterizing Culm Growth of Bambusa cacharensis International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Vol. 40(1): 41-47, 2014.
- Ratio-to-regression estimator in successive sampling using one auxiliary variable. Statistics in Transition (New Series), 16(2): 183-202, 2015.
Papers presented in Conferences/Seminars
- VIII Biennial Conference of International Biometric Society (Indian Region), Oct. 6-7, 2005, UAS, Bangalore.
- International Conference on Statistics and Informatics in Agricultural Research, held at Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute, New Delhi, during December 27-30, 2006.
- International Conference on Recent Advances in Mathematical Statistics and its Applications in Applied Sciences organized jointly by Department of Statistics, Gauhati University and ISI Kolkata during Dec.31, 2012 to Jan, 02, 2013: Chaired a session and paper presented jointly.
- Delivered lecture titled ‘Statistical Methods and Techniques for Analysis of Environmental Data’; at a training program “Environmental Statistics with special reference to Environmental Impact Analysis” sponsored by Central Statistical Organization, at NEHU, September 23-28, 2003.
- Delivered lectures on “Basic Concepts of Sample Survey“ and “Preliminary Test Estimators in Survey Sampling”, Department of Statistics, Dibrugarh University, Jan 07, 2006.
- Delivered an Invited Talk at the “Conference on Environmental & Ecological Statistics with Applications" during March 21-23, 2007 at ISI, Kolkata, as a part of the Platinum Jubilee Celebrations of ISI.
- Delivered two lectures with hands on computer session during work shop on “Introductory Statistical analysis of Biological Data”, jointly organized by ISI Kolkata, and Department of Statistics, NEHU, Nov. 27 to Dec. 01, 2007.
- Delivered an Invited Talk in the symposium on “Statistical Aspects of Research in Agricultural and Environmental Sciences: Status and Scope” during Nov. 30 to Dec. 02, 2007 at Birsa agricultural University, Ranchi, during 61st Annual Conference of Indian Society of Agricultural Statistics.
- Collaboration with Department of Ecology & Environment Science, Assam University
- Collaboration with NESAC, Shillong
- Consultancy for Ph.D. students in School of Life Sciences, NEHU
- Consultancy for MD students in Department of Anaesthesiology, NEIGRIHMS