Prof. Tejimala Gurung Nag
M.A.; M.PHIL; PH.D. (NEHU, Shillong)
Areas of Interest/Specialization
- Modern History of India/Northeast India.
- Thrust Area of Research: Migration and Diaspora Studies, Christianity and Colonial Modernity, and History of Warfare in Modern Northeast India.
Experience (Period of teaching):
- P.G. Classes (in years):27
- U.G. Classes (in years) : 4
Ph.D/ M.Phil Awarded/Supervised
(A) Ph.D Awarded
- Tamdorling Marbaniang, (2017) The Emergence and Growth of the Indigenous Churches in the Khasi Hills (1902-2002)
(B) M.Phil Awarded
- Sudip Saha, (2012) The Colonial Trajectory of Medicine and Public Health in Darjeeling Hills (1835- 1947).
- Muletolu Vero, (2016) Armed Conflict and Naga Women: A Historical Study (1955-1997)
- Manggouhao Kipgen, (2017) Religious Conversion amongst the Kukis in Manipur (1910-1965): A Historical Study.
Ph.D submitted- 2, Registered -6.
M.Phil submitted- 1
Administrative responsibilities undertaken
- Warden of Persara Women’s Hostel, NEHU, Shillong (2000-2003)
- Member of Women’s Cell NEHU, Shillong (2015- 2018)
Life Member of
- Indian History Congress (IHC)
- North –East India History Association (NEIHA)
- North-East India Political Science Association (NEIPSA)
- Indian Association for Women’s Studies (IAWS)
- Individual Project No IX on “Human Movement and Colonial State: A Study of Nepali Migration and Settlement In North-east India.” under the theme Toward a Comprehensive History of Northeast India under the U.G.C SAP-DRS Project of the Department of History, NEHU, Shillong April 2001-March 31,2006
- Individual Project on American Baptist Women Missionaries in Northeast India: A study of their role in Education and Health of Indigenous Women under the University Grants Commission SAP-DSA II Project of the Department of History, NEHU, Shillong. (Ongoing)
- Tejimala Gurung (ed.), The Falling Polities: Crisis and Decline of States in North-East India in the Eighteenth Century, DVS Publishers, New Delhi, 2018.pages 400,Rs.950 ISBN 978-93-85839-12-2
- Sajal Nag, Tejimala Gurung and Abhijit Chaudhury (eds.), Making of the Indian Union: Merger of Princely States and Excluded Areas, Akansha, New Delhi, 2008. ISBN- 978-81-8370-110-5
- “Rethinking Nepali Migration in Colonial Assam: A Gender Perspective”, in Manorama Sharma (ed.), Rethinking Gender History: Essays on Northeast India and Beyond, DVS Publishers, New Delhi, 2017. pp. 216-238.
- “The Making of Gurkhas as a ‘martial race’ in Colonial India: Theory and Practice”, in Sajal Nag and Ishrat Alam (eds.) Blending Region and Nation: Essays in Honour of Prof Amalendu Guha, Primus, New Delhi,2017, pp
- “Politics of Changing Identity: the Gurungs’ (Tamu) experimentation with ‘cultural revivalism’ in Sikkim and Darjeeling” in Proceedings of NEIHA, Thirty-Eight Session, Mirza, Guwahati 2017. ISSN 2349-753X
- “Role of the 8th Gurkha Rifles in British Expansion in North-East India: A Preliminary Note” in Proceedings of NEIHA, Thirty Seventh Session, Sikkim, 2016. ISSN 2349-753X
- “Gurkha Displacement from Burma in 1942; A historical perspective”, in Tanka B. Subba, and A.C. Sinha (eds.), Nepali Diaspora in a Globalised Era, Routledge, London, 2016, pp.203-220, pages 305, Rs.995.ISBN:978-1-138-92226-6(hbk)
- “Autonomy Demand of the Gorkhas in Assam: A Preliminary Note”, in Srikanth, H and Rooplekha Borgohain (eds.), Ethnicity and Political Economy in Northeast India, DVS Publishers, Guwahati, 2016, pp 233-256, pages 323, Rs 795.
- “The Making of Gurkhas as a ‘martial race’ in Colonial India: Theory and Practice”, in Proceedings of the Indian History Congress, Aligarh, 2015, pp520-529, pages 1496.
- “Crisis of Sustenance and Decline of the Ahom State in Eighteenth Century Assam”, in Bhattacharjee, J.B.Bhattacharje and D.R.Syiemlieh (eds.) Early States in North East India, Regency Publications, New Delhi, 2013, pp.152-177, pages 254, Rs. 895.
- “The Zenana work of the American Baptist Mission in Assam during the Nineteenth Century”, in Quest, The Journal of Vivekananda Cultural Centre Guwahati, Vol.V. (No. 2, January 2012) pp.54-76, pages 154, Rs. 150.
- “Migration and Settlement of Nepalis in North-East India: A Historical Perspective” in. D.V.Kumar (ed.), Social Change and Development: Emerging Issues in the North-East India, Rawat Publications, Jaipur, 2012, pp.203-224, ISBN 978-81-316-0486-1
- “Gorkhas as Colliers: Labour Recruitment and Racial Discourse in the Coal Mines of Assam,” in T.B.Subba etal (eds.), Indian Nepalis: Issues and Perspectives, Concept Publishing, New Delhi, 2009, pp.259-273, ISBN- 13:078-81-8069-446-2; 10:81-8069-446-1
- “The Invisible Inscription: Women Missionary and Education of Women.”1886-1905, in T. B. Subba etal (eds.), Christianity and Change in Northeast India, Concept Publishing, New Delhi, 2009, pp..307-320. ISBN-13-978-81-8069-447-9; 10-81-8069-447-X
- “Ethnicity and Political Development in Darjeeling on the Eve of Indian Independence” in Sajal Nag, Tejimala Gurung and Abhijit Chaudhury (eds.), Making of the Union –Integration of Princely States and Excluded Areas, Akansha, Guwahati) 2008.pp.86-102, ISBN-978-81-8370-110-5
- “Nepali Grazier Migration and the Rise of Dairy Farming in North–East India in. D. R. Syiemlieh and M. Sharma (eds.) Society and Economy in North-East India, 19th-20th Centuries, Vol.3 Regency Publications, New Delhi, 2008, pp.159-171, ISBN-978-81-89233-60-0
- “Emergence of Ahom Monarchy in Upper Assam (13th-15th Century) in F .A Qadri, (ed.), Society and Economy in North-East India. Vol. 2. Regency Publications, New Delhi, 2006. pp. 86-96. ISBN -81-89233-40-8
- ‘‘Gurkha Recruitment in the Coal Mines of Assam.’’ Proceedings of NEIHA, Twenty-fifth Session, NEHU, Shillong, 2004, pp.242-247- ISBN-2349-753X
- “The Colonial State and the Settlement of Nepali Graziers in Manipur (1891-1947)”. Proceedings of N.E.I.H.A, Twenty- fourth Session, Gauhati University, Guwahati, 2003, pp.271-278. ISBN- 2349-753X
- “Human Movement and Colonial State: A Study of the Nepalis of North-East India under the British Empire” in A .C. Sinha and T. B. Subba (eds.), The Nepalis in North East India: A Community in Search of Indian Identity, Indus Publishing Company, New Delhi, 2003, pp.172-183. ISBN-81-7387-138-8
- “Displacing the Displaced: The Nepalis in Northeast India” in C. Joshua Thomas (ed.) Dimensions of Displaced People in North-East India, Regency Publications, New Delhi,2002, pp.149-158.
- “‘Rejected Peoples’ ‘The Nepalese in North-East India” in Window, Journal of the Study Circle, No.4, March 1995, Shillong, pp.28-31.
- “The Concept of Social Formation: A Study in its Theory and Practice in India” in NEHU. Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, Vol. XI, No.2, April-June 1993, pp. 13-23.
Papers presented in Conferences/Seminars
- “Of Pirs and Dargahs : An Exploratory Study of Sufi Saints and Shrines in Assam”. International Seminar on Sufism and its Influence in Indian Subcontinent, organized by Department of History, NEHU, Shillong and Allama Rumi Society, Bangladesh 3rd September 2019.
- “Border and Borderlands: Historicizing the Indo-Nepal Border and its Implications” International Seminar on Historicizing Borders: New Perspectives on Politics, Ethnicity and Trans-national Linkages in North-east India 26-28th February, 2019 organized by Department of History, NEHU, Shillong
- “Indo-Nepal Relations during British Colonial period and its Present Implications in Northeast India,” International Seminar on North-East India and its International Neighbours: New Directions organised by the Department of Political Science, NEHU, Shillong, under UGC-SAP DRS II, March 27- 28, 2018
- “ ‘Healing bodies and Saving souls’: The Medical work of the American Baptist Mission in Colonial Assam” in UGC-SAP-DSA II & ICSSR (NERC) sponsored National Seminar on Religious Beliefs and Practices: A Cross-Cultural Study of Societies in Northeast India organized by the Department of History, NEHU, Shillong, 8th-9th March, 2018
- “The 8th Gurkha Rifles in Colonial Assam: A Study in Military History”, 77th Session of the Indian History Congress, Jadavpur, Kolkata December 28-30, 2017.
- “The Rodhi Tradition of the Gurung (Tamu) Community: A relook from a gender perspective” National Seminar on Gender and Folklore in Northeast India : Beliefs and Practices “organized by Department of Cultural and Creative Studies, NEHU, Shillong on 30-31 March 2016.
- “The practice of Thlen worship among the Khasis” at an ICHR, New Delhi sponsored International Conference on Black Magic, Witchcraft and Occultism: Secret Cultural Practices in North East India, organized by Department of History, Assam University, Silchar 5th -7th November 2014
- “Frontier Tribes of Northeast and the Mughal State,” ICHR, New Delhi sponsored International Conference on Mughals and the Northeast: Linkages, Sustenance and Crisis’ organized by Department of History, Assam University, Silchar 10-11 November 2014.
- “The Zenana Work of the American Baptist Mission in Colonial Assam; A Preliminary Look”, National Seminar on Towards an Intellectual History On Northeast India: Colonial to Post Colonial Periods, 24-25 November, 2010.
- “Neo-Vaishnavism and the Eighteenth Century Crisis in Assam”. U.G.C. SAP-DRS sponsored National Seminar on Religion and Society in Northeast India from Eighteenth Century to Contemporary Times organised by Department of History, N.E.H.U. Shillong, November, 2009.
(A) Participant/Resource Person
- National Workshop on Oral History Methodology organised by Oral History Association of India (OHAI) in collaboration with Department of History, Gauhati University, Assam. 24-25th April 2017.
- Workshop on “Protection of Women against Domestic Violence Act (PWDVA), 2005” for College/University teachers organized by National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development, Regional Centre, Guwahati, August 24-26, 2015.
- University Grants Commission Sponsored National Level Workshop on Human Rights And Duties, Organised by Department of Political Science, Dibrugarh University, 10th -12th May 2014 for designing a syllabus on the subject to be offered to post-graduate students from all disciplines of Dibrugarh University as a credit course.
- Trainer Associate in the UGC sponsored Capacity Building of Women Managers in Higher Education, Sensitivity/Awareness/ Motivation(SAM)) Workshop organised by Department of Anthropology ,NEHU, Shillong, June 11- 15th June , 2013.
- Trainer Associate in the UGC sponsored Sensitivity/Awareness/ Motivation(SAM)) Workshop under UGC major programme on Capacity Building of Women Managers in Higher Education, organized by Tripura University, Suryamanigar 30th March-3rd April 2013.
- UGC sponsored Management Skill Enhancement Module (MSEM) Workshop under Capacity Building for Women Managers in Higher Education, organized by NEHU, Shillong 19-24th November2012.
- UGC sponsored Training of Trainers (TOTS) Workshop under UGC major programme on Capacity Building of Women Managers in Higher Education, organized by Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh 17th – 22nd December 2012.
- UGC-NEHU Capacity Building Sensitisation /Awareness Workshop of Women Managers in Higher Education organized by Department of Anthropology and Department of Khasi, NEHU Shillong, 24-29th September, 2007
(B) Seminars/Symposium Organized/ Coordinated
- ICSSR-NERC Sponsored Symposium on Writing Histories of Resistance: From Transgression to Transformation, October 1, 2019
- UGC SAP-DSA II sponsored National Seminar on Religious Beliefs and Practices: A Cross-Cultural Study of Societies in Northeast India organized by the Department of History, NEHU, Shillong, 8th - 9th March, 2018.
- UGC SAP-DSA sponsored National Seminar on “Interpreting Historical Developments in North-East India: A Gender Perspective” organized by the Department of History, NEHU, on 26th and 27th Feb.2009.
- ICHR, New Delhi sponsored two day National Seminar on “The Eighteenth Century in Northeast India: Crisis, Sustenance, Transition,” on 26th -27th March, 2008. NEHU, Shillong.