Areas of Interest/Specialization:
Genetics and Molecular Biology
30 years of Teaching and Research
74 (Research papers in peer reviewed International and National Journals)
15 (completed); 1 ongoing
- Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, India. 2006
- International Cancer Fellowship from International Union Against Cancer (UICC), Geneva,1992.
Yamagiwa-Yoshida Memorial International Cancer Study Grant for a project at CRC Gray Lab., UK.
- Gray Laboratory / Mount Vernon Hospital Trust Fellowship, Sept., 1994 to Aug., 1995.
Visiting Scientist in ‘Experimental Oncology Applied to Therapy group’, in Gray Laboratory, UK.
- American Cancer Society for Beginning Investigators, UICC, Geneva ,Oct., 1999 to Sept., 2000.
Department of Pathology, Presbyterian Hospital in the city of New York, Columbia University, USA.
- International Cancer Fellowship from International Union Against Cancer (UICC), Geneva,2009.
Yamagiwa-Yoshida Memorial International Cancer Study Grant for a project at Swansea University, UK.
- International Cancer Fellowship from International Union Against Cancer (UICC), Geneva,2017.
International Cancer Technology Transfer Fellowship for a project at Cleveland School of Medicine,
Case Western Reserve University, USA.
Ph.D. Awarded/Supervised :
22 Ph.D. awarded
Administrative responsibilities undertaken:
- Founder Head of the Department of Biotechnology, NEHU, Shillong from 2005 to 2008.
- Heading the department for the 2nd time: 2011 to 2014.
- Course Co-ordinator of DBT-supported M.Sc. Teaching Programme from 2007 and continued till now.
- Task Force in DBT, Govt. of India :
‘Basic Research in Modern Biology’ (2012-2017)
‘Cancer Biology” (2013-2018)
‘Maternal & Child health-Developmental & Disease Biology’ (2018-2021)
- Advisory Board of the UGC-SAP programme- Utkal University (2010-2014))
- Advisory Board of the UGC-SAP programme- Assam University (2012-2014)
- Board of Studies, Deptt MBBT, Tezpur University, Assam (2018-2020)
- Co-Chair Technical Expert Committee on Knowledge Generation & Discovery Research, New Tools & Technologies for NER; DBT, Govt. of India (2018-2020)
Programme Coordinator & Organizing Secretary
- Executive Member - Indian Society of Cell Biology (1999-2000)
- Indian Society of Radiation Biology, Secretary (2002-2003)
- Local Secretary of ‘New Biology’ section of 96th Indian Science Congress (2009)
- National Workshop on “Hands-on Training on Techniques used in Biotechnological Research Feb 28 – March 12, 2011. (24 Participants)
- National Workshop on “Hands-on Training on Techniques used in Biotechnological Research Feb 24 – March 8, 2014. (24 Participants)
- National Conference on “Recent Advances in Applied Biological Sciences” May 4-5, 2018 (75 Participants)
- Chairman- NASI-North-Eastern Region Chapter (2019)
Papers presented in Conferences/Seminars:
10 International Conferences; 25 National Conferences
Collaboration/Consultancy: (if any)
- Prof. T BasuBaul, Department of Chemistry NEHU, Shillong
Antitumour activity of a novel organotin compounds. 1995 – 2008.
- Prof. V. Tandon, Department of Zoology, NEHU, Shillong
“PCR based diagnostic markers from rDNA ITS region for species discrimination of zoonotic trematode parasites”; 2005-2014.
- Prof. A. Mukherjee, MBBT, Tezpur University, Assam
Cytotoxicity assay of snake venom. 2014 till contd
- Prof. UC Banerjee & Prof IP Singh, NIPER, Chandigarh
Active compound isolation from Potentilla fulgens. 2011-2018
- Dr. Sathees C Raghavan, IISc, Bangalore
End joining of DNA dsbs. 2014-till continued
- Prof. Tapas Kundu, JNCASR, Bangalore
Oral carcinogenesis 2015 till contd.
“PCR based diagnostic markers from rDNA ITS region for species discrimination of zoonotic trematode parasites”: 366/DEL/2010 dated 18.2.2010 (File Ref # 09034). Application granted on Technical & Formal ground awaiting NBA approval.