Dr. Suranjana Choudhury
Designation: Assistant Professor
M.A. (Assam University), MPhil( Jadavpur University), PhD(Calcutta University)
Areas of Interest/Specialization: Women’s Studies, Partition Literatures, Fiction Studies, South Asian Literatures
Experience: 10 Years
- Member of Indian Association of Women Studies
- Member of Comparative Literature Association of India
- “Politics of Nation and Community in Selected Partition Narratives” in Bakshi Kaustav, Sengupta Samrat, Paul,Subhadeep (Eds) Anxieties, Influences and After: Critical Responses to Post colonialism and Neocolonialism Kolkata, Worldview Publications, 2009: 386-393
- “Secular Families: Communal Violence and the Question of Women’s Honour in Select Partition Narratives” Contemporary Discourse: A Peer Reviewed International Journal, Vol.2 (1) ISSN 09763686,January 2011:130-135
- “Interrogating Development: The Case of Migrant Women as Bread winners in Select Partition Narratives” Human Development: Aspects and Dimensions (ISSN 09753338) Vol.4, 2010-11:
- “Contesting the Issue of Female Agency and Activism: a Study of Select narratives on Communal Violence.” Arnab Bhattacharya, (ed) The Gendered India: Feminism and the Indian Gender Reality. Kolkata: Books way, 2012
- “Wrecked Human Marches: Partition Exodus in Some Literary Narratives from Bengal” The Visva-Bharati Quarterly. Vol. 22(3&4) ISSN 0972043X , September,2013:171-182
- “Pangs of Being Un-Homed: Engagements with Displacement and relocation in select Partition Narratives From Bengal” The NEHU Journal (Vol.XII, No.1)ISSN.0972-8406,January-June, 2014
- Translated a short story “SurjasterPanshala” by Amitabha DevChoudhury in Humanities Underground as “The Twilight Tavern” on 03.06.2015
- Co-authored an article with Dr Binayak Dutta The forgotten partitions of Northeast India and its lingering legacies.
- Published a book review of Amitava Kumar’s The Lovers in Café Dissesnsus on September, 2017
- Published a book review of Jeet Thayil’s The Book of Chocolate Saints
- Published an article “Difficult Displacements, Lost Homes: Partition in Select Autobiographical Writings” in Journal of Literature and Culture Studies(Vol V, Issue 1) June, 2018, ISSN 2348-1188(UGC Approved 64788)
- Co-edited a volume on “Women as the Displaced: The Context of South Asia” (Issue 44) https://cafedissensus.com/2018/05/05/contents-women-as-the-displaced-the-context-of-south-asia-issue-44/ ISSN 2373-177X
- Published an article “Tropes of Remembering Partition: Unsettling Remnants in Select Narratives from Bengal” in The Heritage: Multilingual Research Journal on Indology (Vol IX, Issue-2) 2018, ISSN 2229-5399
- Published a book review of Sumana Roy’s Missing
Other Publications/Newspapers/ Webzines
- Published an article “Marginal Men in a Marginal Place: Quiltmakers in Silchar” in Café Dissensus Webzine (ISSN 2373-177X) on January 31, 2017.
- Published an article “ Silchar-Shillong Road: Tales between the Valley and the Hills” in Coldnoon: International Journal of Travel Writing and Travelling Culture Print & Online(ISSN 2278-9642 | EISSN 2278-9650) on March 18, 2017.
·Published an article “The Partition fiction very few people read: The literature of displacement from Assam’s Barak Valley” in Scroll.in on March 25, 2017.
- Published an article “Curious Contours of Time in a CIty” in Elsewhere: A Journal of Place, Berlin, Germany on February 7, 2018
- Published an article “Falguni and Silchar: the Tale of Ice Cream in a Small Town” in Coldnoon: International Journal of Travel Writing and Travelling Culture Print & Online(ISSN 2278-9642 | EISSN 2278-9650) on February 20, 2018
- Published an article “The Forgotten Khasi, Jaintia, Garo War Labourers of World war I” in The Wire on September 10, 2018
Papers presented in Conferences/Seminars
- Participated in CSSSC-NRT Annual Workshop on Violence and Violation (for Doctoral and Post doctoral Scholars) at the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta from November 4 to November 10, 2009
- Presented a paper entitled “Class Contestations and Partition Violence” in International Conference on Theory at Work organized by Department of English Benaras Hindu University on 9 -11, November, 2010
- Presented a paper entitled “Violence Played out-Identifying the Lesser Players in Select Partition Narratives”in International Conference on Social Imagination in Comparative Perspective: Languages, Cultures and Literatures organized by Comparative Literature Association of India and Central University of Gujarat on 3-6 March, 2011
- Presented a paper entitled“Questioning Female Agency in Bapsi Sidhwa’s Ice-Candy-Man” in the UGC National Seminar on Transposing Culture, Translating Texts: An Overview of Indian English Literature(s) Organized by Sarsuna College, Kolkata in collaboration with Sahitya Akademi, on 2-3rd February, 2012
- Presented a paper entitled“Restructuring Lives, Rebuilding families: Women as providers in select Partition narratives” in the International Conference on Recent Trends in Literature: A Global Perspective organized by Garden City College, Bangalore
- Coordinated a two day symposiumStory Telling and Women Writers from North-East
- India organized by SahityaAkademi in collaboration with Department of English, NEHU on 9th and 10th November, 2015 in NEHU, Shillong
- Presented a paper entitled “The “Other” Chronicles of Displacement and Loss: Studying Partition Writings from Barak Valley” in International Conference Words, Words Words : The future of Literary Writing organized by EFLU, Hyderabad on 25-27 November, 2015
- Delivered an invited lecture “Language Problems in Research Writing” on 22nd March, 2016 in a workshop on Research Methodology Course for PhD Students in Social Sciences organized by ICSSR-NERC from 14th to 23rd March, 2016
- Co-convened National Conference Reinterpretations of the Past: The Discourse of Cultural Identity in South Asia organized by the Department of English, NEHU, Shillong on17th and 18th March, 2016
- Co-coordinated a film screening organized by the Research Forum, Department of English in collaboration with Shillong Forum for English Studies by the eminent filmmaker Mr Tarun Bhartiya on 3rd June 2016 in the lecture room of the UGC-Human Resource Development Centre (HRDC)
- Co-coordinated a special lecture delivered by Ms Bijoya Sawain on Literature and the Construction of Identity organized by the Research Forum, Department of English in collaboration with ICSSR-NERC, Shillong on 8th June, 2016
- Co-coordinated a special lecture delivered by Prof Subir Dhar on Magic and Literature organized by Research Forum, Department of English in collaboration with Shillong Forum for English Studies on 5th November, 2016
- Presented a paper entitled “Perpetuity and Multiplicity of ‘Displacement’ in Amitabha Dev Choudhury’s novels” in International Conference organized by Department of English, Assam University (Re)envisaging India's Northeast: Ethnicity, Identity, Culture, Literature on 8-9 September 2016.
- Presented a paper “Women on the Road: Mapping ‘Road Narratives’ in some popular Indian Cinema” in XV National Conference on Women’s Studies in collaboration with University of Madras, Chennai from 22-25 January 2017.
- Presented a paper “Of ‘Displacement’ and its ‘Returns’: Partition Writings from Barak Valley” in National Seminar Revisiting Partition: concepts, dynamics and manifestations with special focus on north east India organized by Department of Humanities and Social Sciences Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati in association with Institute of Social Change and Regional Development (ISCARD) on 9-11 February 2017.
- Coordinated a special lecture organized by Research Forum, Department of English by Dr. Binayak Dutta to the PhD students on Colonial History and Literature Interface
- Participated in a week long National Workshop on Cinema and society: National workshop on film appreciation 15-20 May, 2017 organised by Deaprtment of English, NEHU in collaboration with MKDF
- Presented a paper “Displacement and its remnants: A select study of partition memoirs from Bengal” in an international conference on Narratives of displacement held in University of London on 28-29 October, 2017
- Presented a paper “The Politics and poetics of gendered exile in Nirbashito” in National conference on Humanities and Social Sciences(NCHSS-2017) organized by department of Humanities and Social Science, NIT, Raipur on 26th November, 2017.
- Delivered an invited talk “Experiences of non-belonging: Reading select women memoirs from Bengal” in Two day international symposium on recent research trends in Gender Studies organized by the department of Humanities and Social Sciences, NIT, Meghalaya on 17-18 March, 2018
- Chaired a session in Two day international symposium on recent research trends in Gender Studies organized by the department of Humanities and Social Sciences, NIT, Meghalaya on 17-18 March, 2018
- Co-coordinated Refresher Course on Literatures, Languages, Cultures: South Asia in Comparative Perspective organized by the Department of English in collaboration with UGC HRDC, NEHU from 19th March- 8th April, 2018
- Delivered an invited talk “The Image of Fallen Women in Literature” in UGC HRDC, NEHU coordinated short term course on Gender Sensitization, 9th October, 2018
- Presented a paper “Poetics and Politics of Displacement: Resonances in select poetry from India’s northeast” in National Seminar Cartographies of Diaspora and Displacements: Narratives of Expatriates and Poetics of Exile organised by Kristujayanthi College, Bangalore on 18th December, 2018
- Delivered an invited talk on “Literature in English from India’s Northeast: Major themes and Engagements” as part of a WEBINAR talk organized by the Department of English, Sarsuna College, Kolkata in collaboration with the Centre for Comparative Literature, Visva Bharati University, Santiniketan
- Delivered a plenary talk ‘What recourse then, but to the map?’: Understanding ‘Partition’ in select writings from Barak Valley’ in a National Seminar Home And Beyond : Belonging, Unbelonging, Nostalgia organized by Santipur College, West Bengal on 25-26 February, 2019
- Presented a paper “Interconnected Past, Bordered Present: Resonances of Partition in Select Bangla Memoirs” in an International Conference on South Asian Literature, Culture and Society organized by B.T.M College, Purulia, west Bengal on 27-28 February, 2018
- Delivered an invited talk as a resource person in a two-day Inter-College Students’ Workshop under RUSA programme, on 15th and 16th March 2019, entitled, The Art of Story-telling organized by Department of English, Women’s College, Shillong
- Delivered an invited talk “Partition Discourses in Folklore” in Refresher Course in Folkloristics and Semiotics organized by Department of Cultural and Creative Studies, NEHU in collaboration with UGC HRDC, NEHU on 27th March, 2019