Prof. Ghanashyam Bez
- Lecturer: Dibrugarh University (1999-2006)
- Research Associate: University of Texas at San Antonio, Texas (2002-2003)
- Research Associate: University of Kansas, Kansas (2003-2004)
- Reader: North Eastern Hill University (2006-2009)
- Associate Professor: North Eastern Hill University (2009-2012)
- Professor: North Eastern Hill University (2012 onward)
- Professor & Head: Sophisticated Analytical Instrumentation Facility (SAIF), NEHU (2015-2017)
- Asymmetric synthesis
Enzymes and Organocatalysts are two important pillars in asymmetric synthesis. We are currently working on development of novel asymmetric organocatalyst from cheap and readily available enantiopure substances such as monosaccharides and amino acids to study their catalytic role in various carbon-carbon bond forming reactions. Simultaneously, we are working on catalytic application of various lipases in (i) kinetic resolution of alcohols and amines, and (ii) multicomponent reaction guided by enzymatic promiscuity.
- Green synthetic methods
Synthesis of complex molecular structures requires efficient chemical transformations. In our lab, we are working on development of new methods for synthesis of rapid assembly of complex molecules under solvent/catalyst-free conditions.
- 1,2,4-Trioxane Chemistry
Given the success of artemisinin as one of the most effective drugs for the treatment of malaria and its recent success against diverse tumor cell lines, efforts to achieve simpler, yet efficient 1,2,4-trioxane (the essential pharmacophore of artemisinin) core is considered very important. We are currently engaged in development of new 1,2,4-trioxane targets to study their pharmacological properties.
- Solid phase synthesis
Solid phase synthesis provides unique advantage over traditional solution phase in the purification process. Additional features include high yield, recyclability of most of the reagents, and also amenability to robotisation. In our group, we are working on the use polymer-bound triphenylphosphine as recyclable reagent to achieve important synthetic targets.
Research group (Present members)
- Ms. Grace Basumatary
- Mr. Blamphrang Kharni
- Mr. P Balagangadhar
- Mr. Rahul Mohanta
- Mr. Achintya Gogoi
- Ms. Mezhubeinu
Research group (Past members)
- Dr. Khiangte Vanlaldinpuia, Assistant Professor, PUC, Mizoram University, Mizoram
- Dr. Lalthazuala Rokhum, Assistant Professor, NIT Silchar, Assam
- Dr. Pranjal P Bora, Post-Doctoral Fellow, USA
- Dr. Atoholi Sema, Assistant Professor, Phek Govt. College, Nagaland
- Dr. Barisha Wahlang, Assistant Professor, Shillong College, Shillong
- Dr. Manisha Bihani (As Joint Supervisor), Post-Doctoral Fellow, USA
- Dr. J S Momo Hmungshel Anal, Senior Technical Assistant, SAIF, NEHU
- Dr. Porag Bora, PG Teacher, Kendriya Vidyalaya, NEHU
Study of redox potential of novel 1,2,4-trioxane nanoparticles and assessment of their compatibility to radiotherapy, sponsored by BRNS secretariat, Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Mumbai.
List of Publications (last 5 years)
- CuI/L-proline catalyzed Click reaction in glycerol for the synthesis of 1,2,3-triazoles, Bala Gangadhar Pasupuleti and Ghanashyam Bez, Tetrahedron Letters, 2018 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2018.11.078).
- Recent Application of Polystyrene-Supported Triphenylphosphine in Solid Phase Organic Synthesis. Lalthazuala Rokhum, Ghanashyam Bez, Current Organic Chemistry, (2018), (DOI: 10.2174/1385272822666181026115752)
- Chemoselective isocyanide insertion into N-H bond using iodine-DMSO: A metal-free access to substituted ureas; Bora P., Bez G. Chem. Commun. (2018), 54, 8363 – 8366.
- Novel Coumarin Derivatives as Potent Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitors: Insight into Efficacy, Mode and Site of Inhibition, Baruah P., Basumatary G., Yesylevskyy S., Aguan K., Bez G., Mitra S. Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics (2018), 10.1080/07391102.2018.1465853.
- Copper(II) Nitrate Catalyzed Azide-?Alkyne Cycloaddition Reaction: Study the Effect of Counter Ion, Role of Ligands and Catalyst Structure Bihani, Manisha; Pasupuleti, Bala G.; Bora, Pranjal P.; Bez, Ghanashyam; Lal, Ram A. Catalysis Letters (2018), 148(5), 1315.
- Ethyl acetate as an acetyl surrogate for the iodine catalyzed acetylation of alcohols Basumatary G., Bez G Tetrahedron Letters (2017), 58, 4312-4315.
- Enantioselective Aminocatalysis: Michael addition of unactivated ketones to nitroolefins catalyzed by D-Fructose derived monofunctional primary amine Vanlaldinpuia K, Bora P, Basumatary G, Mohanta R and Bez G Journal of Chemical Sciences (Berlin, Germany) (2017), 129 (10), 1603–1610.
- Monofunctional primary amine: A new class of organocatalyst for asymmetric Aldol reaction Vanlaldinpuia, K; Bora, P; Bez, G; Journal of Chemical Sciences (Berlin, Germany) (2017), 129(3), 301-312.
- Beyond enzymatic promiscuity: asymmetric induction by L-proline on lipase catalyzed synthesis of polyfunctionalized 4H-pyrans. Bora, P P.; Bihani, M; Bez, G. RSC Advances (2015), 5(62), 50597-50603.
- Asymmetric Henry reaction catalyzed by L-proline derivatives in the presence of Cu(OAc)2: isolation and characterization of an in situ formed Cu(II) complex. Atoholi Sema, H.; Bez, G; Karmakar, Sanjib. Applied Organometallic Chemistry (2014), 28(4), 290-297.
- One-pot solid phase synthesis of (E)-nitroalkenes. Rokhum, L; Bez, G. Tetrahedron Letters (2013), 54(40), 5500-5504.
- Multicomponent synthesis of dihydropyrano[2,3-c]pyrazoles catalyzed by lipase from Aspergillus nige, Bora, P P.; Bihani, M; Bez, G, Journal of Molecular Catalysis B: Enzymatic (2013), 92, 24-33.
- Henry reaction in aqueous media at neutral pH, Bora, P P.; Bez, G. European Journal of Organic Chemistry (2013), 2013(14), 2922-2929.
- Amberlyst A21 catalyzed chromatography-free method for multicomponent synthesis of dihydropyrano[2,3-c]pyrazoles in ethanol; Bihani, M; Bora, P P.; Bez, G; Askari, H. ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering (2013), 1(4), 440-447; DOI:10.1021/sc300173z
- Ethyl acrylate conjugated polystyryl-diphenylphosphine: An extremely efficient catalyst for Henry reaction under SolFC; Rokhum, L; Bez, G; Canadian Journal of Chemistry (2013), 91(4), 300-306.
- Amberlyst A21: A reusable solid catalyst for green synthesis of pyran annulated heterocycles at room temperature, Bihani, M; Bora, P P.; Bez, G; Askari, H; Comptes Rendus Chimie (2013), 16(5), 419-426.
- Synthesis of polyfunctionalized 4H-pyrans; Bihani, M; Bora, P P.; Bez, G; Journal of Chemistry (2013), 785930, 7 pp. DOI:10.1155/2013/785930
- A practical catalyst-free synthesis of 6-amino-4-alkyl/aryl-3-methyl-2,4-dihydropyrano[2,3-c] pyrazole-carbonitrile in aqueous medium. Bihani, M; Bora, P P.; Bez, G Journal of Chemistry (2013), 920719, 8 pp. DOI:10.1155/2013/920719.
We are looking for highly motivated candidates with special interest in asymmetric synthesis who can apply in our PhD programme (advertised in the month of June every year).