Mr. Kamaljit Chirom
Journalism and Mass Communication
Designation: Assistant Professor
Joined NEHU on
MA, NET/JRF, PhD.
Areas of Interest/Specialization:
- Film Studies, Communication Research, Communication Theories
Experience: 7 years
- “Dr. Ambedkar Fellowship National Award-2013” awarded by Bharatiya Dalit Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi.
- Joint Supervisor for the scholar Gervasius Nongkseh. Department of LibSc.
Administrative responsibilities undertaken:
- Teacher In-Charge of the Department.
- Chairperson of BOS of Journalism & Mass Communication.
- Ex-officio member of School Board, Academic Council, and Court.
Paper is Journals:
- “The Journey of Manipuri Cinema” in The Journalist, Vol-2, No. 6, July-September 2012, pp. 31-35. ISSN: 2231-2943. (UGC Journal No. 49283)
- “Manipuri Cinema: Creativity in Adversity” in International Journal of Communication, Vol 23, No 1-2, Jan-Dec 2013, pp 14-25. ISSN: 0975-640X.
- “Folktales and Early Manipuri Cinema” in Communication Today, Vol. 18, No. 3, July-September, 2016, pp 95-102. ISSN: 0975-217X. (UGC Journal No. 49143)
- “Shot Length and Narrative in Ishanou” in Media Mimansa, Vol 10, No. 3, January-March, 2017, pp 2-6. ISSN 2229-5593. (UGC Journal No. 49242)
- “Proppian Analysis of the Manipuri Film Olangthagee Wangmadasoo” in International Journal of Communication, Vol 27, No 1, Jan-Jun 2017, pp 89-95. ISSN: 0975-640X.
- “Vishal Bhardwaj’s Adaptation of William Shakespeare’s Hamlet: A Study of the Plot and Characters” in Creative Forum, Vol. 30, No. 1-2, Jan-Dec 2017, pp 81-88. ISSN: 0975-6396. (UGC Journal No. 41751)
- “Rey, The New Feminine” in Remarking an Analisation. Vol. 3, Issue-19, Jan 2019, pp 261-265. P: ISSN NO.: 2394-0344. E: ISSN NO.: 2455-0817. (UGC Journal No. 40827)
Chapter in a Book:
- People of Manipur. In the book “Manipur Bhasha O Sahitya.” A. K. Seram (Ed.). NAGREE Publishers, Sylhet, Bangladesh: p. 77-84. 2016
Papers presented in Conferences/Seminars:
- Presented paper titled “Children and Conflict Situation in Manipur” at the Northeastern Regional Seminar on the theme “Child Rights and the Media” organised by the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, EFL University, Shillong Campus in partnership with UNICEF, Assam on 31 October and 1 November 2013 at EFLU, Shillong Campus.
- Presented paper titled “Representation of Transgender characters in Manipuri cinema: Case Study of Ang Tamo and Nupa Shabee” at the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on the theme “100 Years of Indian Cinema with Special Reference to North East” organised by Lakhimpur Commerce College, North Lakhimpur, Assam on 10th and 11th May 2014.
- Presented paper titled “Role of Media in Intercultural Dialogue” at the National Seminar on “Cultural Pluralism in India and inter-cultural dialogue” organised by Centre for Studies in Civilizations, New Delhi on 23-24 February 2015 at ICSSR, NEHU Campups.
- Presented paper titled: “Use of Shumang Leela in promoting peace in the Northeast,” at a symposium on “Communication for Peace and Nonviolence” held from 1-2 March 2016 at Mizoram Central University, Aizawl, Mizoram.
- Presented paper titled: “Narrative Construction in Wari Liba Performance” at National Conference on Verbal Art: Exploring the Ethnography of Speaking Strategies, at North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong from 23rd – 24th February, 2017.
- Presented paper titled “Conflict and Trauma in ‘Mami Sami,’” at the International Seminar on “Narratives of Violence and Terror in South Asia” (NOVATISA) organised by Department of English, North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong in collaboration with NEC, Shillong and ICSSR-NERC, Shillong held from 16th to 18th November 2017 at NEHU, Shillong.
- Presented paper titled “Repressed Dreams and Women in Lipstick Under My Burkha” at the National Seminar on “Media, Women and Culture: The Indian Trijunction” organised by the Department of Mass Communication, Mizoram University on 13-14 September 2018 at Mizoram University, Aizwal.
- Member of ‘Manipuri Sahitya Parishad Meghalaya’ since 2013.
- Delivered lectures at College of Home Science, CAU, Tura on 23-24 November 2015 to the students of B.Sc. on the topics of “Principles of Mass Communication, Ethics of Mass Communication, and Press Related Laws.”
- Delivered lecture on the topic “Dissemination of News in the Digital Era” on 25th January, 2016 during the Model Training Course on ‘Agricultural Communication in Digital Environment’ organised by ICAR RC for NEH region, Umiam in collaboration with DKMA, New Delhi, 18th January-25th January 2016.
- Delivered a lecture on the topic “Communication Skills for Facing Interviews” at a Workshop on “Value Proposition - Personality Development and Communication Skills” organized by the Career and Counselling Cell, NEHU, Shillong on 11th and 12th September 2014.
- Participated the National Seminar on “Centralisation, Democracy and Dissent: The Role of the media in Contestation and Reconciliation” organised by North Eastern Social Research Centre, Guwahati on 28-29 May, 2018.
- Chaired a session at the National Seminar on “Media, Women and Culture: The Indian Trijunction” organised by the Department of Mass Communication, Mizoram University on 13-14 September 2018 at Mizoram University, Aizwal.
- Delivered lecture as resource person on the topic “Oral History of the Tribals of Manipur” during the Refresher Course on Tribal Studies at UGC-HRDC, NEHU, Shillong on 5th October 2018.