Areas of Interest/Specialization: Nanophysics, High Energy Physics
Experience: 34 years
Research Projects: Two completed (with R. K. Thapa)
Phd Awarded/Supervised: Ph.D. Scholar (Four Registered)
Administrative responsibilities undertaken
- Head, CSE, NEHU, Shillong (June 2017- August 2018)
- “Gravity induced large grand unification mass in SU (5) by higher dimensional operators”, Phys. Rev. D39, 316 (1989).
(with M. K. Parida and A. K. Mohanty)
- “Spontaneous compactification effects, low energy signature of quark-lepton unification, and small neutrino masses in SO (10)”, Phys. Rev. D39, 2000 (1989).
(with M. K. Parida)
- “Spontaneous compactification effects in SO (10) with low- mass W ±R -gauge bosons without observable parity restoration”, Phys. Lett. B234, 45 (1990).
(with M. K. Parida)
- “Models with natural seesaw mechanism for neutrino masses with identical parity and SU (2)R - breaking scales”, Phys. Rev. D43, 2351 (1991).,(with M. K. Parida and C. C. Hazra)
- “Useful theorem on vanishing threshold contribution to sin2 θW in a class of grand unified theories”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 66, 858 (1991). (with M. K. Parida)
- “Spontaneous compactification effects on SO (10) grand unification with SU(2)L× SU(2)R × SU(4)c intermediate symmetry”, Phys. Rev. D44, 2179 (1991). (with M. K. Parida)
- “Theorem on vanishing multiloop radiative corrections to sin2θw in grand unified theories at high mass scales”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 68, 754 (1992).
(with M. K. Parida)
- “Higher dimensional operators to the rescue of minimal SU (5)”, Mod. Phys. Lett. A8, 1487 (1993).
(with B. Brahmachari, U. Sarkar and K. Sridhar)
- “Application of Mathieu potential to photoemission from metals”, Phys. Lett. A275, 459 (2000).
(with Z. Pachuau, B. Zoliana, D. T. Khating and R. K. Thapa)
- “A simple study of photoemission from metals”, Indian Journal of Phys, 76A (2), 201 (2002).
(with B. Zoliana, Z. Pachuau, S. Srivastav, R. C. Tewari and R. K. Thapa)
- “Application of Mathieu potential to photoemission calculations: the case of a strong potential”, Phys. Lett. A294, 52 (2002).
(with Z. Pachuau, B. Zoliana , D. T. Khating and R. K. Thapa)
- “A Model Photoemission Calculations Using Projection Operator Method”, International Journal of Modern Phys. B, Vol. 17, No. 15, 2897 (2003).
(with B. Zoliana, Z. Pachuau, L. Zadeng, R. K. Thapa and D. T. Khating)
- “Photoemission studies of metals by using Mathieu potential”, Indian Journal of Phys.77A (4) 393 (2003).
(with B. Zoliana, Z. Pachuau, L. Zadeng, D. T. Khating and R. K. Thapa)
- “Photofield emission calculations by using Projection Operator Method”, Modern Physics Letters B, Vol. 21, No. 22, 1501 (2007).
(with R. K. Thapa, G. Das, S. R. Gurung, B. I. Sharma)
- “Calculation of strain energy of cantilevered thick multiwalled carbon nanotubes with varying forces at the free end”, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Vol. 6, No. 5, 1039 (2009).
(with L. J. Singh and S. Kumar)
- “Study of Heusler alloy as half metallic ferromagnet”, Indian Journal of Phys, 84 (6), 717 (2010).
(with D. P. Rai, J. Hashemifar, M. Jamal, Lalmuanpuia, M. P. Ghimire, Sandeep, D.T. Khathing, I. Sharma, Rosangliana and R. K. Thapa)
- “Upper bound on the load on a cantilevered thick multiwalled carbon nanotube”, American Institute of Physics Conf. Proc., Vol. 1276, No. 1, 401 (2010).
(with S. Kumar)
- “Energy and Electronic Charge Conservation during alpha and beta emission”, School Science, Vol. 48, No.1 & 2, 43 (2010).
- “Study of Bulk modulus, Volume, Energy, lattice parameters and magnetic moments in rare earth hexaborides using density functional theory” Journal of Physics: Conf. Series 377, 012084 (2012).
(with Sandeep , M. P.Ghimire, D. P. Rai , A. K. Mohanty and R. K.Thapa)
- “Nonlinear approach to explain mechanical properties of carbon nanotubes”, Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol.6, Issue: S3, 5, March 2013 (ISSN: 0974-6846).
(with S. Kumar)
- “General expressions for deflection, strain energy and upper bound on the load of a cantilevered carbon nanotube”, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Vol. 10, No. 11, 2732 (2013).
(with S. Kumar)
- “Principles behind Carbon Dating and its Various Uses”, School Science, Vol. 52, No.4, 24 (2014).
- “A Comparative Study of 1D Monatomic Fe-chain and 3D Fe-bulk within the Density Functional Theory (DFT)”, Nanoscience and Nanoengineering 4(3): 53- 57, (2016).
(with D. P. Rai, S. Chettri, A. Shankar and R. K. Thapa)
- “Electronic and Piezoelectric properties of half-Heusler compound: A first principles study”, Journal of Physics: Conf. Series 765, 012006 (2016).
(with D. P. Rai, S. Chhetri, A. Shankar, E. A. Abeer and R. K. Thapa)
- “Bending analysis of carbon nanotubes using nonlocal continuum models”, Journal of Physics: Conf. Series 765, 012006 (2016).
- “Analytical expressions for deflection and strain energy of a cantilevered carbon
- nanotube using nonlocal continuum models”, Advance Science Engineering and Medicine 9, 420 (2017).
(with B. R. K. L. Lyngdoh Mawphlang)
- “Electronic and magnetic properties of Fe atomic chain and Fe atomic plane: an ab-initio study”, International Journal of Nanoscience Vol. 16, No. 3, 17500241 (2017).
(with D. P. Rai, Sandeep, A. Shankar and R. K. Thapa)
- “A comparative study of electronic and thermoelectric properties of bulk, 2D sheet and 1D wire of Silicon: an ab-initio study of electronic and thermoelectric properties
of bulk, 2D sheet and 1D wire of Silicon: an ab-initio study”, International Journal of Nanoelectronics and Materials 10, 93 (2017).
(with H. Joshi, D. P. Rai, Sandeep, A. Shankar and R. K. Thapa)
- “Buckling analysis of a simply suppoted single-walled carbon nanotube using nonlocal continuum model and Laplace transform”, Journal of Applied and Fundamental Sciences, Vol 5(1) 23 (2019).
(with B. R. K. L. Lyngdoh Mawphlang)
- “Effect of Mn doping in mechanical properties Cd 1-x Mn x Te 2", Material Research Express 6, 116322 (2019). (with B. Thapa, N Subba and A. Shankar)
- Group Theory and its Applications (2018), P. K. Patra and R. K. Thapa, Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi; ISBN 978-81-8487-426-6.
- Expression for strain energy of a simply supported carbon nanotube using nonlocal continuum models, B. R .K. L. Lyngdoh Mawphlang and P. K. Patra, In: Recent Advances in Physics Research and its Relevance (2017). S. Chutia and S. Saikia (Eds.). Excel India Publishers, New Delhi, p. 210-214; ISBN: 978-93-86256-85-0.
Seminars, Conferences, Symposia, Workshops etc. in which participated
- “International Winter School on Super Strings and Grand Unification”, Toshali Sands, Puri, Orissa, January 3-17, 1988.
(Organized by Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar, Orissa).
- “Tutorial School on Super String Theory”, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore,
February 22 – March 17, 1988.
- “Topical Meeting on CP violation”, S. N. Bose National Center, Kolkata, January 3-5, 1990.
- “VII SERC School in Theoretical High Energy Physics”, Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmadabad, December 30, 1991-January 18, 1992.
- “VIII SERC School in Theoretical High Energy Physics”, Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar, November 9 -December 5, 1992.
- “International Winter School, BCSPIN on Particle Physics and Cosmology at the Interface”, Puri, January 2-18, 1993.
(Organized by International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Italy).
- “Enhancing Collaboration and Networking for Popularization of Science in North-East”, Centre for Science Education, NEHU, Shillong, March 7-8, 2002.
- “Workshop on Science and Mathematics Teaching”, Unit for Science Education, NEHU, Shillong, March 25-27, 2004.
- “Workshop on Scientific Computing”, Unit for Science Education, NEHU, Shillong, March 12-14, 2008.
- “Workshop on Research Methodology and MATLAB”, Centre for Adult and Continuing Education, North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong, March 23-30, 2009.
- “National Workshop on Use and Deployement of Web and Video Courses for Enriching Engineering Education under National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL)”, a joint venture of IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur and IIT Kharagpur held at Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, August 23-24, 2009.
- “International Conference on Advanced Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology (ICANN-2009)”, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, India, December 9-11, 2009.
- “National Conference on Condensed Matter Physics”, Department of Physics, NEHU, Shillong, March 22-23, 2010.
- “ISSS-NPMASS Workshop on Microsystem Technology”, NEHU and North Eastern Space Application Centre (NESAC), Shillong, March 25- 27, 2010.
- “IEEE EDS mini- colloquium (WIMNACT 23) on The Future of Nano Electronics”, NEHU, Shillong, April 5, 2010.
- “Workshop on Promoting Entrepreneurship in Science and Technology Institutions,” held at Hotel Polo Towers, Shillong, organized by NSTEDB, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, June 23, 2010.
- “Two-day Short-Term Course on Intellectual Property Rights”, held at UGC- Academic Staff College, NEHU, Shillong, September 6 - 7, 2010.
- “National seminar on Maintenance of Teaching Standards in Higher Education: Issues, Problems and Reforms”, held at NEHU, Shillong, March 25 - 26, 2011.
- “Workshop on Innovative Experiments in Physics for North-Eastern Zone”, held at Shillong Science Centre, Shillong, organized by Vigyan Prasar, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, New Delhi and State Council of Science, Technology and Environment, Meghalaya, May 17- 20, 2011.
- “National Workshop on Group Theory (NWGT-2012)”, held at Physics Department, held at Physics Department, Pachhunga University College”, Mizoram University, Aizawl from December 3-7, 2012.
- “Workshop on Particle Physics”, held at Department of Physics, St. Anthony’s College, Shillong from March 21-23, 2013.
- “National Seminar on the Commemoration of the Centenary Year of Bohr’s Atomic Theory” at Lady Keane College, Shillong, August 23 - 24, 2013.
- “CMDAYS-2016 National Conference”, held at Department of Physics, Mizoram University, August 29-31, 2016.
- “National Conference on Recent Advances in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (NCRANNT-2016)”, held at Department of Nanotechnology, School of Technology, September 8-9, 2016.
- “Mizoram Science Congress 2018, a National Conference”, held at Pachhunga University College, Mizoram University, Aizawl, Mizoram from October 4-5, 2018.
Collaboration/Consultancy (if any):
- Prof. R. K. Thapa, Physics Department, Mizoram University,
Dr. D. P. Rai, Physics Department, Pachhunga University College, Mizoram University
- Dr. Amit Shankar, Asstt. Prof, Kurseong PG College, Darjeeling.
Referee of the following Journals:
- Journal of Physics: IOP Science
- Nanotechnology: IOP Science
- Iranian Journal of Science and Technology Transactions A: Science, Springer
- Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering: IOP Publishing