Prof. R. K. Satapathy
Political Science Department
M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.
Areas of Interest/ Specialisation:
International Politics, Contemporary Political Theory, Electoral Politics & Research Methodology
Forty years of Teaching Experience
Ph.D./ M.Phil. Awarded/ Supervised:
- Ph.D. Awarded – Five
- Ph.D. Supervising – Four
- M. Phil. Awarded – Six
- M.Phil. Supervising – One
Administrative responsibilities undertaken:
At present working as
- Honorary Director of the Indian Council of Social Science Research –
- North Eastern Regional Centre, Shillong.
- Editing the Refereed Journal Man and Society
- Coordinator, Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat Programme,
- Coordinator, Special Lecture Programme, and a number of administrative responsibilities of the University
- Appointed Academic Counsellor of IGNOU for eight years.
- Founded Mizoram Political Science Association,
- Life Member, Indian Political Science Association,
- Life Member, Indian Institute of Public Administration,
- Life Member, Lokniti,
- Life Member, Indian Association of Indo-American Study
- UGC-sponsored Major Research Project entitled General Elections 2009 – A Behavioural Study of Political Attitudes and Opinion in Meghalaya.
- Departmental Research Project entitled Democratic Governance, Extremism and Youth Movements in North-East India under UPE II.
- Project entitled Extremist Politics in North-East India under UPE.
- Project entitled Comparative Study of the Elections in Meghalaya and Mizoram under the Department Special Assistance Programme.
- Coordinated State of Democracy in South Asia in collaboration with Centre for the Study of Developing Societies, Delhi.
- Coordinated seven National Election Studies organised by the Lokniti.
- United States and Central America, New Delhi: Mittal Publications, 2012.
- Globalisation and Traditional Systems in North East India, (edited), New Delhi: Lakshi Publications, 2014.
- Diversity in Voting Patternin Northeast India in How India Votes: A State by State Look, Eds. Ashutosh Kumar and Yatindra Singh Sisodia, Delhi: Orient BlackSwan 2019.
- Civil Society and State: Public Domain Interface in Civil Society, Voluntary Sector & Social Transformation in India, Ed. Biswambhar Panda, Guwahati: EBH Publishers, 2014.
- Inner line Permit and Beyond: A Perception in Vision for Meghalaya: On and Beyond the Inner Line Permit, Eds. H. Srikanth, C. Joshua Thomas and Recordius Enmi Kharbani, Shillong: ICSSR-NERC, 2014.
- Meghalaya’s Fluid Party Alignments in Party Competition in Indian States, Eds. Suhas Palsikar, K.C. Suri & Yogendra Yadav, New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Meghalaya: Verdict on Expected Lines, in Economic & Political Weekly Vol. XLIV No. 39, September26 – October 2, 2009.
- Mizoram: Renewed Mandate for the State Government in Electoral Politics in Indian States: Lok Sabha Elections in 2004 and Beyond, Eds. Sandeep Shastri, K.C. Suri & Yogendra Yadav, New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Contextualising Development in the State – Civil Society Paradigm of Mizoram in Peace and Development in Mizoram: Role of the State and Civil Society, Ed. J.K.Patnaik, Aizawl: Department of Political Science, Mizoram University, 2008.
- Constructing a Model for the Peace Process in Mizoram in Genesis of Conflict and Peace: Understanding North East India Use and Abuse, Eds. Anuradha Dutta and Ratna Bhuyan, New Delhi: Akansha Publications, 2007.
- MNF Movement and Peace Process in Mizoram: An Alternative Model of Conflict Resolution for Insurgency Movements in Northeast India in National Security Issues: Northeast India Perspectives, ed. Abu Nasar Saied Ahmed, New Delhi: Akansha Publications, 2007.
- Seventy-Fourth Constitutional Amendment: A Need for Municipal Government in Mizoram in Urban Local Self-Government in North-East India, Ed. R.N.Prasad, New Delhi: Mittal Publications, 2006.
- Positive Vote for the State Government in Mizoram in Economic & Political Weekly Vol. XXXIX No. 51, Dec. 18-24, 2004.
- Mediating Peace: The Role of Insider-Partials in Conflict Resolution in Mizoram in Faultlines Vol.15, Feb. 2004.(Publication of the Institute for Conflict Management, New Delhi).
- Priorities and Problems in Political Science in Research Priorities in North-East India with Special Reference to Mizoram ed. L.S.Gassah, New Delhi: Regency Publication, 2001.
- Village Council in Mizoram and Panchayati Raj System: A Comparative Study in Administrative Review, 1995 (Annual Issue).
- Local Self Government in Mizoram: Some Observations, in Landmarks: A Study of Public Administration in Mizorameds. R.N.Prasad & A.K.Agarwal, Aizawl: IIPA, Aizawl Regional Branch, 1995.
- There are a number of E-Journal Publications which are not mentioned here.
Papers presented in Conferences/Seminars:
(Only a few mentioned here)
- Presented a Paper on Relocating the State in the Globalised World in IPSA Annual Conference in 2006.
- Presented a paper on Renewed Mandate for the State Government in Mizoram in IIAS (Simla) sponsored seminar in Delhi in 2007.
- Presented a paper on Contextualising Development in the State – Civil Society Paradigm of Mizoram in the national seminar organized by the Department of Political Science, Mizoram University in 2007.
- Presented a paper on Sovereignty, Nation State and Globalisation: An Indian Context in the Indian Social Science Congress, held at Delhi in 2008.
- Presented a paper entitled Extremist Politics in North-East India in the UPE National Seminar organized by the Department of Political Science NEHU, Shillong on 25-26 March, 2008.
- Presented a paper entitled Civil Society and State: Public Domain Interface in National Seminar organized by the Sociology Department, NEHU held at Shillong on 18-19 November, 2009.
- Presented a paper entitled Civil Society and Social Forces: The Context of North-East India in SAP National Seminar in the Department of Political Science, NEHU, Shillong on 11-12 March, 2010.
- Presented a paper entitled Youth As Social Force: Communitarian Perspective to the Understanding of Young Mizo Association in SAP National Seminar in the Department of Political Science, NEHU, Shillong on March 20-21, 2012.
- Chaired a session in the National Seminar on Border Hats in Meghalaya in March, 2012.
- Chief Guest in Titlagarh College National Seminar in 2016 and Badamba College, Odisha National Seminar in 2016.
- Chief Speaker in Neelamadhab College, Kantilo, Odisha in 2016.
- Presented a Paper in the SAP International Seminar on India and its Neighbours: China Factor in its Policy Strategies in the Department of Political Science, NEHU, Shillong on March 26 and 27, 2018.
- Presented a Report on the Survey of the 2018 Assembly Elections in Meghalaya in the Meeting of the Lokniti network on 16-18 April, 2018.
- Organised a National Seminar on Electoral Politics in North-East India: An Analysis of the Last Assembly Elections in the ICSSR-NERC on 21st April, 2018.
- Organised First Annual Social Science Congress of ICSSR-NERC at Tezpur University in March 2019.
- Presented a paper on India’s Foreign Policy in the Twenty First Century- China factor at the SAP National Seminar, Department of Political Science, March 2018.
Delivered Keynote/ Valedictory Address:
- Delivered keynote address at the Seminar on Globalisation and Traditional Political System in North-East India held at Nongstoin, Meghalaya in 2007.
- Delivered a keynote address in the national seminar on Global Climate Change : Sea Level Rise in Bangladesh and Security Implication on India in MS College, Baramba, Odisha on March 4-5, 2012.
- Delivered keynote address in the National Seminar on Border and Connectivity: North East India and South East Asia organized by the Department of Political Science, Mizoram University on 23rd and 24th March, 2018.
- Delivered Keynote Address in the national Conference on Engaging Asia: India’s Foreign Policy in the 21st Century held on 20th and 21st September 2019 at ORF, Kolkata
- Delivered Keynote Address in the National Seminar on Resurgence of Nationalism: Citizenship, Identity and Belonging on 17th October 2019 at Government Aizawl College, Aizawl