Dr. Jibitesh Dutta
Basic Sciences & Social Sciences Department
Designation: Assistant Professor
M.Sc. (UGC-CSIR NET), Ph.D. (NEHU and Jadavpur University).
- Ad-hoc Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, Sankardev College, Shillong (July 2000).
- Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, St. Edmund’s College, Shillong (July 2002 to July 2008)
- Guest Lecturer, Department of Commerce and Compuer Science, St. Edmund’s College, Shillong (July 2002 to July 2006).
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, St. Edmund’s College, Shillong (July 2008 to April 2009)
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Department of BSSS, School of Technology, NEHU, Shillong (April 2009 till date)
Area of Interest:
The main motivation for my work is to demonstrate how well-known constructions in Pure Mathematics can be used in some current problems of Cosmology and other areas of Applied Mathematics. In particular, I am interested in the following areas:
- Dynamical Systems in Cosmology
- Partial Differential Equations
- Undergraduate: Dynamics, Algebra, Analysis, Vector Calculus, Analytical Geometry, Numerical Analysis, Engineering Mathematics - I and II.
- Post-Graduate: Classical Mechanics, Partial Differential Equations, General Relativity and Cosmology.
Honours and Awards:
- Selected Associate of Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune for the period 2015-2018 and then selected as a Senior Associate of IUCCA for the period 2018 – 2021.
- Served as a reviewer of grant proposal in Narodowe Centrum Nauki (National Science Centre), Poland in 2017.
- Reviewed papers in several International Journals of repute.
- Received full travel and subsistence to visit the International Centre of Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy (2014).
- Young Relativist award at the International Conference on Differential Geometry and Relativity (ICDGR-2013).
- Best Presentation Award of The Indian Science Congress Association, Kolkata in the Section of Mathematical Sciences (including Statistics), 2009.
- NEHU Post Graduate Merit Scholarship.
- Awarded Gold Medal for securing 1st position in M.Sc. examination.
- Secured 3rd position in the B.Sc.(Hons) examination.
Membership of Professional Bodies:
- Life Member of Indian Association of General Relativity and Gravitation
- Life Member of Indian Mathematical Society (IMS)
- Outreach Member of Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2016
Phd Awarded/Supervised: Three Ph. D. Students (Ongoing)
Recent administrative responsibilities and other service:
- Member, Board of Studies, Department of Information Technology, School Of Technology, NEHU (Since 2019).
- Organized Science Academies' Lecture Workshop on Hyperbolic Partial Differential Equation and Conservation Laws at NEHU, Shillong (22-25th February 2017).
- Examination Committee, Department of Basic Sciences, NEHU (April 2009 -2014).
- Admission Committee, School of Technology, NEHU (May 2009 -2012).
- Member, Academic Calendar Committee, School of Technology, NEHU (May 2014 – Present).
- Member of the core committee for preparation of presentation for additional teaching positions in the department.
- Member of the core committee for Preparation of PowerPoint presentation for recent NAAC visit.
Challenging General Relativity at the largest Scales: A systematic investigation of Cosmological Perturbations in Modified Gravity sponsored by Science and Engineering Research Board, Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India, 2019-2022 (Rs. 22.37 lakhs, Principal Investigator).
Number of publications in refereed international SCI/Scopus journals: 23 (As on October 2019)
- Selected list of significant refereed international Journals:
- W. Khyllep and Jibitesh Dutta, Linear growth index of matter perturbations in Rastall gravity, Phys. Lett. B, 797, 134796 (2019).
- Jibitesh Dutta, W. Khyllep and H. Zonunmawia , Cosmological dynamics of the general non-canonical scalar field models, Eur. Phys. J. C 79, no. 4, 359 (2019).
- H. Zonunmawia, W.Khyllep, Jibitesh Dutta and L.Järv, Cosmological dynamics of brane gravity: A global dynamical system perspective, Physical Review D, 98, no. 8,083532 (2018).
- B. Chetry, Jibitesh Dutta and A. Abdolmaleki, Thermodynamics of event horizon with modified Hawking temperature in scalar-tensor gravity, General Relativity and Gravitation, 50, no. 10, 130 (2018).
- Jibitesh Dutta, W. Khyllep, E. N. Saridakis, N. Tamanini and S.Vagnozzi, Cosmological dynamics of mimetic gravity, Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, 1802, 041 (2018).
- Jibitesh Dutta, W. Khyllep and N. Tamanini, Dark energy with a gradient coupling to the dark matter fluid: cosmological dynamics and structure formation, Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics 18(01), 038 (2018).
- H. Zonunmawia, W. Khyllep, N. Roy, Jibitesh Dutta and N. Tamanini, Extended Phase Space Analysis of Interacting Dark Energy Models in Loop Quantum Cosmology, Physical Review D, 96 , no. 8, 083527(2017).
- S. K. Biswas, W. Khyllep, Jibitesh Dutta and S. Chakraborty, Dynamical analysis of an interacting dark energy model in the framework of a particle creation mechanism, Physical Review D,95, no. 10, 103009 (2017).
- Jibitesh Dutta, W.Khyllep and N. Tamanini, Scalar-Fluid interacting dark energy: cosmological dynamics beyond the exponential potential, Physical Review D, 95, no.2, 023515 (2017).
- Jibitesh Dutta, W.Khyllep and N. Tamanini, Cosmological dynamics of scalar fields with kinetic corrections: Beyond the exponential potential, Physical Review D, 93, no. 6, 063004 (2016).
- Jibitesh Dutta, S. Chakraborty and M. Ansari, Holographic dark energy and validity of the generalized second law of thermodynamics in the DGP brane world, Modern Physics Letters A 25, 3069 (2010).
- Jibitesh Dutta and S. Chakraborty, Validity of generalised second law in holographic DGP brane, General Relativity and Gravitation, 42, 1863 (2010).
- S. K. Srivastava and Jibitesh Dutta, Nonlinear equation of state, cosmic acceleration and deceleration during phantom dominance, International Journal of Modern Physics D 18, 329 (2009).
- Conference Publications:
- Teaching and Learning Mathematics with Technology and Applications, International Seminar on Attracting Best Talents In Basic Sciences during 24-25th July, 2013, Shillong College.
- Taxicab Geometry and its applications, National Seminar on Mathematics, “Mathematics: the need of the hour”, 5th July and 27th August, 2013, Shillong College.
- Aspects Of Brane-Gravity, VDM Verlag Dr. Müller (August 10, 2011).
Recent conference presentations :
- “Dynamics of interacting dark energy from a variational approach” at the 29th meeting of the Indian Association for General Relativity and Gravitation (IAGRG) at the Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati during 18– 20th May 2017.
- “Dynamical systems in dark energy models from the centre manifold theory” perspective in the UGC-SAP sponsored National Seminar: Current Trends in Mathematics at the Department of Mathematics, NEHU, Shillong during 14-16th March 2017.
- “A Cosmological Study of a coupled scalar field: A dynamical System Perspective” at the 81st annual conference of the Indian Mathematical Society (IMS), VNIT, Nagpur during 27-30th December, 2015.
- “Laws of Thermodynamics in the DGP Braneworld” at Summer School on Cosmology, International Centre of Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, Italy held during 4-15th August 2014.
Recent Invitation and Invited Talks:
- Served as a Chairperson in the National Seminar on Pure and Applied Mathematics at St. Mary's College, Shillong (9-20th September 2018).
- Invited to Discussion Meeting on Teaching of Differential Equations in India at Indian Academy of Sciences, Jalahalli Guest House, Bangalore (26-28th February 2018)
- Invited to attend the Eighty-Fourth Annual meeting of the Indian Academy of Sciences held at Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi (1-5th November 2018).
- Delivered an Invited talk entitled Travelling Salesman Problem at Department of Management, National Institute of Fashion Technology, Shillong (13th November 2015).
- Delivered an Invited talk entitled Geometric and Software Tools for Mathematical Applications at one day seminar entitled Basic Concept and Application of Mathematics, St. Anthony's College, Shillong.(1st August 2015).
- Delivered an Invited talk entitled Mathematical Modelling In Biology at Capacity Building, Sensitization and Awareness in Biotechnology for Higher Secondary Science students of Shillong at St. Edmund's College, Shillong (26th July 2014).
- Delivered an Invited talk entitled Application of Mathematics at Workshop for Creating Awareness about Mathematics amongst the secondary level students at Deba Kumar Memorial Hall at Bishnupur, Shillong (27-29th March 2014).
- Delivered an Invited talk entitled Learning Mathematics with Technology at 41st KVS Jawaharlal Nehru Science, Maths and Environment Exhibition, K V NEHU, Shillong (8th October 2013).
Recent Training :
- One Day Regional Training Programme on Plagiarism Detection Software - URKUND under the aegis of MHRD, Govt. of India at NEHU, Shillong (23rd August 2019).
- Workshop on Massive Open Online Courses(MOOCs) on the theme Adoption, Promotion and Development Of MOOCs through SWAYAM platform at NEHU, Shillong ( 28-29th May 2019)
- Science Academies' Refresher Course on Partial Differential Equations and their Applications, IISER Bhopal (3rd-15th July 2017).
- Workshop on Cosmology from Baryons at High Redshift, International Centre of Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy (18th-21st August 2014).
- Summer School on Cosmology,International Centre of Theoretical Physics, Trieste, (Italy 4-15th August 2014).
- International CIMPA Research School and Conference on Fourier Analysis of Groups in Combinatorics, NEHU, Shillong (8-30th November 2013).
- Advanced Instructional School in Algebraic Topology, NEHU, Shillong (13th June-2nd July 2011).