Dr. Laitpharlang Cajee
Designation: Associate Professor
M.Sc, Ph.D.(NEHU, Shillong).
Areas of Interest/Specialization:
Biogeography and Geography of Tourism
Experience: 22 years
Phd Awarded/Supervised: 4
Administrative responsibilities undertaken:
- Sports Incharge 2011-12;
- Controller of Examinations, NEHU 2012-17;
- Registrar Incharge June 2014 – Nov 2015
- Co-investigator: Community forest management in Khasi Hills (A case study of a few community and clan managed forests) Meghalaya, May 2003.
- Co-investigator: Environment Orientation in the Schools of North-East India 2003-04.
- Phytogeomorphology of Upper Part of Umiam Basin, Meghalaya, Hill Geographer, XIV (1 and 2) 1998: pp 96-102.
- Conservation of Biodiversity vis-à-vis sustainability and development in Meghalaya, in Proceedings of the workshop on Peoples Participation in Biodiversity Conservation published by North Eastern Region Biodiversity Cell (NERBC), NEHU, 1999 pp 28-30.
- Geomorphic features and soil characteristics: A case study around Mawbri Village, Hill Geographer, XVIII (1 and 2) 2003, pp 36-43.
- Appraisal of the Geo-Environment of Greater Shillong in Meghalaya plateau, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Environment, Locational Decisions and Regional Planning, published by the Geographical Society of North Eastern Hill Region, Shillong, 2003 pp 181-196.
- Community participation in forest management in Meghalaya, The NEHU Journal Vol.III, No.1, Jan 2005, pp 89-97.
- Weather Variability and Rainfall Pattern of ‘Sdir’ Post-Monsoon Cyclonic Storm of 15th November 2007 in the Meghalaya Plateau, India in Current Science; Vol 100. No.10, 25 May 2011; pp 1522-1531.
- Tea Tourism in Tinsukia, Assam in Excellence International Journal of Education and Research (EIJER); Vol:5 Issue:2, Feb. 2018; pp 39-43.
- Agricultural Management for Sustenance with the Growing Population in Barpeta District, Assam in International Journal of Creative Research Thoughts (IJCRT); Vol:6 Issue: 1, Feb. 2018; pp 350-355.
- Growth of Tourism in the Darjeeling Himalaya in International Journal of Research in Management and Social Science Vol: 6, Issue 1(VIII), Jan - Mar 2018; pp 43-50.
- Eco-Cultural Tourism in Darap Village, West Sikkim in IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science (IOSR-JHSS) Vol: 23, Issue 3, Ver.11, March 2018; pp 55-61.
- Bio-Cultural Preservation Among the Khasis: A Case Study of Mawphlang Sacred Grove in Research Journal of Arts, Management and Social Science Vol: XVIII, Eng - I, Year IX, March 2018; pp 96-106.
- Potential and Problems of Avitourism in Maguri Beel in Research Journal of Arts, Management and Social Science Vol: XVIII, Eng - II, Year IX, March 2018; pp225-232.
- Diversity of Bamboo Species and its Utilization in the North-Eastern Region of India in International Journal for Research in Applied Science & Engineering Technology (IJRASET) Vol: 6, Issue III, Mar 2018; pp 3286-3299.
- Importance of Agro based Industries for Economic Development in Assam in International Journal for Research in Applied Science & Engineering Technology (IJRASET) Vol: 6, Issue III, Mar 2018; pp 79-84.
- Water Management during the dry season in the betel leaf plantations of the southern slopes of the Meghalaya Plateau in International Journal of Research in Management and Social Science Vol: 6, Issue 2 (II), April-June 2018; pp 44-47.
- Water Crisis in the Indian Subcontinent (edited) 2011; Bookwell, New Delhi. 503+xliv pp.
- State of Environment Report of Mizoram 2016 on behalf of Department of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, Government of Mizoram, Sponsored by Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India New Delhi.
Papers presented in Conferences/Seminars:
- Impact of physical aspects in the distribution of dominant plant species, Meghalaya in “International Conference on Mountain Environment and Natural hazards Management”, organized by Indian Institute of Geographars and Department of Geography, NEHU, Shillong 27-29 March 2003.
- Community forest management in Khasi hills: A case study of few community and clan managed forests, Meghalaya in Workshop on “Community Forest Management, North East India”, organized by West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (WBNUJS) and Department of Geography, NEHU, Shillong, 27-28 May, 2003.
- Community participation in forest management ( A case study of Mawphlang sacred grove and Mawsmai community forest, East Khasi Hills, Meghalaya in National seminar on “Population and Development in North East India”, organized by International Institute of Population Sciences, Mumbai and Department of Geography, NEHU, Shillong, 25-27 February 2004.
- Challenges to Rural Development in North Eastern Region of India : A Geographical Perspective in National Seminar on "Rural development in North East India : Challenges and Opportunities" organized by Women's College, Shillong on 27-28 July 2012.
- Eco-Cultural Tourism in North East India in Regional Workshop on "Prospects of involving JFMCs in Eco-Tourism as IGAs/livelihood activities in North-East India" organized by Regional Centre, National Afforestation and Eco-Development Board, NEHU, Shillong on 22-24 August 2013.
- Eco Tourism (Cultural) : A tool for Sustainable Development in the 35th Indian Geography Congress on “Sustainability, Environment and Society” organized by Department of Geography, University of Madras on 12-14 December 2013.
- Bio-Cultural Preservation among the Khasis (A case study of Mawphlang Sacred Grove) in 5th Himalayan International Seminar - 2014 on “The cultural traditions and indegenous knowledge of Himalayan ethnic groups: Issues and challenges for safeguarding” organized by Himalayan Heritage Research & Development Society, Sikkim, India and Nehru-Wangchuck Cultural Centre, Thimphu, Bhutan on 27 April 2014.
- Eco-Cultural Tourism: A Tool for Environmental, Cultural and Economic Sustainability (A Case Study of Darap Village, West Sikkim) in “4th International Conference on Tourism Research (4ICTR)” organized by International Conference on Tourism Research (ICTR) on 09-11 December 2014.
- Possible alternatives vis-a-vis Coal Mining in National Seminar on “The Impact of Interim National Green Tribunal Ban on Coal Mining in Meghalaya” organized by Jaintia Eastern College, Meghalaya on 28-29 November 2016.
- Indo - Japan Collaboration on ‘Climate Change in South Asia’ under MoU signed with Kagawa University, Takamatsu, Japan
- Invited by His Excellency, The Ambassador of the United States of America for the “International Visitors Leadership Program” on a project “Environmental Education in the 21st Century from June 20, 2005 to July 8, 2005 at Washington D.C.
- Member, State Planning Board of Meghalaya, Government of Meghalaya, 2008-09.